Looking for show quality RIR's

DJC62

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 16, 2011
I'm looking for some (15-25) show quality RIR's. Would love to get started pullets but chicks will suffice if that's all I can find. Anyone have a source for good birds (saw a few names but no contact info)? I'm trying to create a decent flock and plan on helping out some of the local kids, etc. Need to start out with the best I can find. I'm located in south Texas.

Thanks in advance for any leads provided.

Dave

Unfortunately, at this time of year it will be almost impossible to locate that many pullets from any one breeder of potential exhibition stock. Most of the breeders I know have sold the majority of their young stock and only have on hand birds they plan on exhibiting and/or breeding themselves. Such is the case with me, I only have my breeders and exhibitors right now. (I raise LF Rosecomb Reds.)

Are you looking for bantams or large fowl? Rose comb or single comb? Let me know what size/type you are looking for and I may be able to direct you to someone in Texas, Oklahoma or Arkansas. If you subscribe to the Poultry Press (which I would strongly recommend if you are wanting to get into exhibiting) there are some RIR breeders advertising there. You may also want to consider joining the Rhode island Red Club of America.

Most folks starting an exhibition flock begin with a trio and work up from there. The type of birds you say you are looking for will generally run from $25 - $60 each (started stock). Chicks will probably be in the $5 to $8 dollar range.

If you want to meet some Red breeders, come to the Bluebonnet Classic in College Station on Saturday, 07Jan12. http://www.bluebonnetclassic.com/ This is a State Meet for the Red Club and you will be able to visit with some Texas breeders.

I know luckypickens sells show quality hatching eggs. I've got about 2 dozen in the incubator now and most all of them are viable. I'm not sure if she sells chicks but you can contact her and find out.

I'm sorry but luckypickens birds are not show quality. They may win at local fairs but if they were to compete against birds at an APA show, they would probably be disqualified.

I might can fix you up. I will be talking to this person tomorrow and ask. He has the mohawk line, which I think is the oldest line out there. Don't do what I did and spend hundreds trying to get true heritage rir's only to be disappointed. Many say they have heritage when they don't. I gave over 60.00 a dozen for heritage eggs only to cull production reds. I also culled birds that the size of them was between a Lf and banty. If you want this contact I would be happy to give it to you. Always glad to see anyone wanting a true heritage breeds, and don't want them getting discouraged by what I went through.

First, let me thank all of you thus far for your replies. It's exactly the kind of responses I was hoping to get. I don't want to go purchase some expensive chicks, spend the time, money and effort and not end up with what I was looking for. To all who honestly try to steer people in the right direction on the site, and others, you have my thanks and appreciation.

I'll be a little more to the point on what I'm looking for. I was a little vague but knew exactly what I wanted in my head.... sorry for that.

1. Highest quality of the breed I can find. Goal being to maintain the breed and produce winning show birds. I want to get involved at the local/regional level with 4-H and other groups and give back to my community, as I can, as well and the poultry community in general. I intend on only breeding the best and culling the rest.

2. Chicks I understand will be where we'll need to start, most likely. Not a problem as it'll give my wife a project until I get home. I'm in Afghanistan (5 and a half years now) but hope to be home by the end of summer. So if we get her some chicks to raise and when I get home I can pick up at that point and move things along. She can get the head start for us. So sources for top quality birds, figuring I'll probably have to pre-order or whatever with delivery late-winter or early spring, is fine with me. I don't have a problem waiting if I'm getting the best I can find.

3. I don't have a problem working with others to improve their line if someone was interested in such a thing. I have 20 acres, room to build/etc additional structures as necessary. No problem doing what I need to.

4. We have somewhat settled on RIR's, which I and the wife both like but that's not in stone.... We can change or add something rare, exotic, etc if something came our way that was of interest. I don't want to get too many breeds going at one time, choosing to focus in on 1-3 breeds. Our original choice was/is single comb, large fowl. Again not in stone.

Trying not to ramble but still get what I have envisioned across. I'd like to get things rolling as I expect it to take some time to find and obtain some quality chicks, just trying to get things moving forward. If anyone has additional more specific questions or queries, don't hesitate to contact me. Again, thanks to all for the replies.

Dave

Quote:
Sounds like you're willing to spend a bit of $$ to get your birds? If you really want winning show birds, go to the bigger shows and buy the winning birds (or their offspring, etc). Or buy from a breeder that has won the national poultry show (in my case, I'd go to Dick Horstman for partridge rocks).

I have no idea how you find this information, but someone on here is bound to know.

The best way I've found is to look online for good birds via google images. These photos will sometimes have breeder info such as names and sometimes locations. Google the names and locations and try to find a link between those people and the birds.

Back
Top Bottom