Looks like alopecia,is this normal?

Midwest mama

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2024
Hi everyone, I am new to raising chickens and I look here for all of my advice. I have 12 1 week old chicks in my house they are in a makeshift brooder ( in a playpen) I am using a heat lamp and the warm side is sitting right at about 90°, the cool side is right about 70. This little black chick has been kind of baldish since I got him. He was in a grouping that got shipped direct from Hoover's and I kind of talked his baldness up to possibly being pecked during shipping. I applied Vaseline to his bald spots, I was worried about might, while I was applying the Vaseline I noticed that he was shedding his down. I tried to get a decent picture but the little bugger moves around a whole lot. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this.

Attachments

• 20240403_171551.jpg
    20240403_171551.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 55
Sorry for writing this here, I don't quite know how to update the original thread. Just wanted to mention that I am providing magic water for the chicks..

Sorry not to be more helpful, but which one are you worried about? Some clearer pictures would help.
If the little one is eating and drinking, running around and pooping I wouldn't worry too much. Chicks go through multiple molts as they get their feathers in. Maybe it is just that. I wouldn't apply vaseline.
If he is getting pecked you need to watch out for actual harm - wounds, blood etc. But otherwise I would just wait and see.

It appears that the chicks are as far away from the red light as they can possible get.
I'd triple check to make sure it isn't TOO HOT under that heat lamp.

I would not put any more Vaseline on them.

It is completely normal for chicks to shed their fuzzy down.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but which one are you worried about? Some clearer pictures would help.
If the little one is eating and drinking, running around and pooping I wouldn't worry too much. Chicks go through multiple molts as they get their feathers in. Maybe it is just that. I wouldn't apply vaseline.
If he is getting pecked you need to watch out for actual harm - wounds, blood etc. But otherwise I would just wait and see.
Ok. Will do. I'll try to get some better pictures

It appears that the chicks are as far away from the red light as they can possible get.
I'd triple check to make sure it isn't TOO HOT under that heat lamp.

I would not put any more Vaseline on them.

It is completely normal for chicks to shed their fuzzy down.
Ok I'll check the temp. Thank you.

Ok I'll check the temp. Thank you.
The thing with the temperature is to make sure they have some choice in the matter. It is better to have an area that is warm and an area that is cool and let them decide where they want to hang out.
The charts on temperature needs are a bit misleading in that they imply that they must always be at that particular temperature.
I don't have a load of experience, but I have enough to have observed that chicks are very happy running around in the cold (even near freezing) as long as they can go somewhere to warm up when they need to.

Back
Top Bottom