Looks Like Raw Meat in Poo

battagliac

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2012
Woodland, CA (near Sacramento)
We first saw this in one dropping under roost area and were trying to figure out which chicken it was, but this morning we noticed it in five droppings. Could it be coccidiosis and should we treat all our hens immediately? We have Corid (amprolium 9.6% oral solution), but since it’s Christmas Day, we cannot get in touch with our regular vet.

Attachments

• 01AADFB5-418A-4951-9375-C84AEB196D6C.jpeg
    01AADFB5-418A-4951-9375-C84AEB196D6C.jpeg
    925.7 KB · Views: 86
Most act normal but a couple have looked a bit off lately (hunched with tail down & one with pale comb), and we found a large lash egg two weeks ago. We’ve been monitoring since then and spotted this blood from one hen 3 days ago, but today we found it in 5 hen’s droppings. We have 10 hens 2 roosters that roam free on 1 acre.

Attachments

• D9C4F3E5-24DC-47E7-BFC9-9F19CD68C176.jpeg
    D9C4F3E5-24DC-47E7-BFC9-9F19CD68C176.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 7B653F85-5162-452F-9FA4-6801EE74C66A.jpeg
    7B653F85-5162-452F-9FA4-6801EE74C66A.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 36
Have you dewormed?
Getting a fecal float would be a good idea if that's possible.

Did you cull the hen with the Salpingitis(Lash Egg) or are you attempting to treat her to give her more time?

Have you dewormed?
Getting a fecal float would be a good idea if that's possible.

Did you cull the hen with the Salpingitis(Lash Egg) or are you attempting to treat her to give her more time?
We have not dewormed, but we have ivermectin. Also, we did not cull the hen because we did not know which one laid it. We suspect it is the one with pale comb that we now confirmed has blood in dropping. We’re getting ready to treat everyone with Corid, but do you suggest we deworm at the same time? Thanks!

Yes I would deworm at the same time. I worm my flock a minimum of 2 times per year, it will be 3 times this year as we have had a climate conducive to their spread for much longer than usual this year. When I see those red spots in poop I worm them.

Ivermectin can be a bit hit and miss as a wormer, I do use it (topical application, it's off label here for chickens but the local vets dispense it from a cattle drench bottle into a 1ml syringe for me, they're wonderful). I use levamisole in feed plus ivermectin topically and so far that is doing the job.

In general I am a 'nature knows best' kind of person, but when it comes to parasites I employ chemical warfare. Unless you have the space to make very long rotations (months not weeks) in coops/pasture and have some other animal like goats or sheep, you will not be able to effectively manage a parasite load naturally.

We have not dewormed, but we have ivermectin. Also, we did not cull the hen because we did not know which one laid it. We suspect it is the one with pale comb that we now confirmed has blood in dropping. We’re getting ready to treat everyone with Corid, but do you suggest we deworm at the same time? Thanks!
You can deworm and use Corid at the same time.
You can find Safeguard (Fenbendazole) at TSC. Dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

IF you determine which hen has Salpingitis, then putting her on a round of antibiotics may help with the inflammation. There is no cure, but the medication may make her more comfortable.

You can deworm and use Corid at the same time.
You can find Safeguard (Fenbendazole) at TSC. Dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

IF you determine which hen has Salpingitis, then putting her on a round of antibiotics may help with the inflammation. There is no cure, but the medication may make her more comfortable.
Thank you. I’ll get some Safeguard and treat. Today was second day of Corid with 10 mL per gallon in drinking water and keeping all birds in the coop and run. On day-1 we also boosted orally at 1 mL per lb. as well. I see variation in how many days (5-7 days, 3-5, and 4 days) to treat with Corid, so we’re unsure about that.

Back
Top Bottom