Loose dogs

Pics

lacychappell4

Songster
May 31, 2021
Graphic photos
I don't know if I even want to keep chickens anymore.
Im tired . I've lost 4 chickens in 24 hours because of somebody's d#$& loose dogs . I probably lose 2 more before daylight . They are running them in the pen and pulling them partially out through the wire . Its just so heart breaking 😭 I used outdoor dog runs/kennels from TSC . They have rabbit / hardware wire on the outside and 1 inch chicken wire on the inside . A predator skirt and covered . It hurts , I just wanted chickens , and now ............. Well I don't know if it's worth it anymore.

Graphic photos
I don't know if I even want to keep chickens anymore.
Im tired . I've lost 4 chickens in 24 hours because of somebody's d#$& loose dogs . I probably lose 2 more before daylight . They are running them in the pen and pulling them partially out through the wire . Its just so heart breaking 😭 I used outdoor dog runs/kennels from TSC . They have rabbit / hardware wire on the outside and 1 inch chicken wire on the inside . A predator skirt and covered . It hurts , I just wanted chickens , and now ............. Well I don't know if it's worth it anymore.
Im so sorry about this. Call the police, animal contol, or the local humane society about the dogs. Dont give up on chickens yet i know the feeling of wanting to give them up my neighbor kept shooting air gun pellets at them and it took me 6 months to gain their trust again. So i couldnt show them at the fair. Definitely try getting rid of the dogs first. If you can find the owners they might have to pay for the chickens you have lost.

They are running them in the pen and pulling them partially out through the wire.
You probably can't get this set up in the next hour or two, but for the future:
an electric fence around the outside of the chicken pen will stop dogs doing that. It's not as much fun to run around something that shocks when they touch it, and they won't be pulling chickens partly out through the wire if they get shocked each time they get close enough to touch.

I've lost 4 chickens in 24 hours because of somebody's d#$& loose dogs . I probably lose 2 more before daylight.
Are you able to move the remaining chickens somewhere safe? Maybe into a box in your house until daylight? If the dogs run off when you come outside, this might be possible. But if the dogs just keep doing it while you yell and make noise, then call the police and say you fear for your OWN safety, because those dogs might hurt you too. (Police are likely to take your safety more seriously than the safety of your chickens.)

If the dogs run off and come back later, you may be able to use the chicken pen as a trap for the dogs (with the chickens either moved somewhere else, or if they have all been killed.) Then you could call the police, or turn the dogs over to animal control, or contact the owners, or something like that. Trapping the dogs will mean there is no question of WHICH dogs are involved.

If the dogs just got out once, the owner might fix their own fence and keep them contained in future. If the dogs run loose regularly, then it may be necessary to permanently remove the dogs (rehome via animal control, or euthanizing/killing them.) Check the laws where you live before doing anything permanent, of course-- laws vary from place to place, but generally do not permit dogs to run loose killing animals and possibly endangering people.

how awful. i don’t understand people with dogs like this. i have had excellent luck with this device. it requires you to be present to operate it (so not as good as electrical fence, but way cheaper)

K-II Enterprises Dazer II Ultrasonic Deterrent Dog Trainer:
https://app.chewy.com/Ag8RfKtiasb

Had a neighbor dog that was super aggressive (like, snarling and chasing me down my own driveway). started using this and she quickly learned that if she came near me, she’d get a dose of this, which she hated. pretty soon, stopped coming onto our property entirely. could be possible to teach them this feeling comes from being near your coop and/or property?

You probably can't get this set up in the next hour or two, but for the future:
an electric fence around the outside of the chicken pen will stop dogs doing that. It's not as much fun to run around something that shocks when they touch it, and they won't be pulling chickens partly out through the wire if they get shocked each time they get close enough to touch.

Are you able to move the remaining chickens somewhere safe? Maybe into a box in your house until daylight? If the dogs run off when you come outside, this might be possible. But if the dogs just keep doing it while you yell and make noise, then call the police and say you fear for your OWN safety, because those dogs might hurt you too. (Police are likely to take your safety more seriously than the safety of your chickens.)

If the dogs run off and come back later, you may be able to use the chicken pen as a trap for the dogs (with the chickens either moved somewhere else, or if they have all been killed.) Then you could call the police, or turn the dogs over to animal control, or contact the owners, or something like that. Trapping the dogs will mean there is no question of WHICH dogs are involved.

If the dogs just got out once, the owner might fix their own fence and keep them contained in future. If the dogs run loose regularly, then it may be necessary to permanently remove the dogs (rehome via animal control, or euthanizing/killing them.) Check the laws where you live before doing anything permanent, of course-- laws vary from place to place, but generally do not permit dogs to run loose killing animals and possibly endangering people.
I totally agree with you! Try the electric fence and trapping first maybe, but definitely look at the laws where you live. Where I live it is completely legal to shoot a dog who is harming livestock and even more so if it is a threat to people. I’m not saying it’s anything I want to do, I don’t even know if I could do it, but I also agree that it can’t keep killing chickens or possibly worse. I know people get upset when people say these things sometimes, but please consider why. I’m an animal lover and never usually ever want to harm an animal, but I’ve had dogs chase my horses and injure one and almost killed one of my best hens. It’s chased me aggressively too. I’m just trying to protect me and my animals. Thankfully I with a loud bang against something has kept him away for now, but he just simply can’t hurt my horses or animals…. Or me. :idunno😕 Also please note that I have tried numerous numerous things to get the dog away. the owners just don’t care. I’ve tried tons of things… it won’t let up.

Im so sorry about this. Call the police, animal contol, or the local humane society about the dogs. Dont give up on chickens yet i know the feeling of wanting to give them up my neighbor kept shooting air gun pellets at them and it took me 6 months to gain their trust again. So i couldnt show them at the fair. Definitely try getting rid of the dogs first. If you can find the owners they might have to pay for the chickens you have lost.
We don't have an animal control. I am in very rural area . Sheriff's Department says im in my right to kill dogs) predators that kill livestock or pets . We have killed 7 dogs so far this week that were ferel . These are people's pets and that makes it worse knowing that they just don't care enough to let their dogs do whatever they want.

Back
Top Bottom