lose of balance, appetite, open mouth breathing

Pics

Cellomama2

Songster
5 Years
Jun 11, 2017
Wisconsin
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
*She is an Easter Egger, born May 22 and is 1.5 lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
*Was walking around slightly fluffed up yesterday and I was able o catch her which was unusual. Once I caught her she was heavily breathing with her mouth open and I hadn't chased her around, just cornered her. Once inside she drank quite a bit of water on her own but no food. She would peck at the air over the food dish but not actually lower her head enough to get into the dish. The water was at the same level and she had no issue with that. Today she refuses to stand and actually falls backwards when she does try to stand. If I pick her up and set her down she falls to the side. Still open mouth breathing and not eating or drinking. I gave her I gave her .5 ml of poultry Nutri-Drench about an hour and a half ago and when I went in to check on her she was at least trying to stand and walk. When she does walk though she is stepping on her own two feet, steadies herself with her wings on the ground and then lays back down, it almost seems neurological. droppings seem normal.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
*Found her acting odd yesterday

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
*Had to euthanize a blue bantam wyandotte earlier this week after finding her laying down and fluffed up the day prior. She made it through the night and next day but was breathing heavy, not eating or drinking, wouldn't stand, very weak and had white liquid poop. She could barely lift her head by that night so I used a co2 setup and it took about 30 seconds for her to be gone. The person I got her from said this could happen with them so I was sad but the rest were acting fine so I didn't think much of it.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
*no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
The only thing I can think of is these stupid red berries that my daughter keeps sneaking them but Sassy isn't the first to run up to us anymore so i don't think she's even been getting any. Running pics and samples to steins for someone to hopefully help and I'll post some pics on here later as well.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Kent Home Fresh Medicated starter crumbles, Manna pro chick grit with probiotics, wild black raspberries and strawberries from our yard, crickets from the pet store only twice now, and just introduced live meal worms yesterday but she didn't get any since she was already looking fluffed and didn't want to come by us. Those stupid red berries as well when I don't catch her in time to stop her.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
*seems pretty normal, maybe a little more liquid than usual but not much

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
*Save-a-chick probiotic and electrolytes last night and the nutri-drench today

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
*I have no problem treating her myself if I can get an idea of what to do. A vet is something we would like to try to avoid if possible because of cost but if we may be facing loosing the entire flock I will talk to my husband about reconsidering.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
*a picture won't do much I'll have to try to post a video somehow

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
* the coop is the shape of an L made by multiple 4'x8' sheets of plywood, branches from cut down trees in our yard, sticky tile floor with a thick layer of aspen and pine bedding. The run is 12'x17'x9' completely enclosed with hardware cloth. The flooring is dirt with a layer of pine needles and now cut grass and clover.

I have been searching but I'm getting no where with what this is so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I really don't think the two birds have the same thing but maybe I'm totally wrong.

Having had chickens with similar symptoms, I can sympathize. You're probably having a lot of conflicting emotions, helplessness being one. I understand what it feels like.

It does sound neurological. Marek's comes to mind, especially since this chick is about the age you see onset of symptoms. Have your chicks been vaccinated against Marek's?

Another thing that comes to mind is neurotoxin poisoning. Those red berries should be identified. Find out what plant they're from. The list of plants poisonous to poultry is a brief one. http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/...ickens/plants-that-are-poisonous-to-chickens/

I've had a chick very recently eat grit from under my log splitter and she had very similar symptoms to the ones you describe. Any machine in the area of where the chickens hang out leaking fluids onto the soil? Petroleum distillates are as poisonous as insecticides.

You can try B vitamins and vitamin E and selenium, as they may help the condition if it's caused by a vitamin deficiency. At least you can rule that cause out if the chick doesn't respond.

If it's poisoning, the prognosis isn't good. Once a neurotoxin hits the brain, the damage is done.

If it is Marek's you certainly want to find out. If this chick dies, I strongly recommend you get a necropsy. A university extension office can steer you to where you can obtain it.

hmmm.............I had something similar a couple of months ago. It started with falling down progressed to complete blindness but somehow after about 7 days the hen recovered. It did seem like Mareks from reading the description.

I didn't take video when she was at her worst because I thought there was no way she would make it. She just walked about in a very tight circle and it was very sad to watch but she made it.

IMG_20170716_184252424.jpg bush IMG_20170716_184513844.jpg top of leaf
IMG_20170716_184520113.jpg bottom of leaf IMG_20170716_184528916.jpg berries
IMG_20170716_184536796.jpg berries different angle

I'm still looking but if anyone knows what this is to save me some time that would be great.

This was yesterday morning. She had gotten significantly worse by early afternoon and then after giving her that supplement I mentioned earlier was eating and drinking by that night.

Having had chickens with similar symptoms, I can sympathize. You're probably having a lot of conflicting emotions, helplessness being one. I understand what it feels like.

It does sound neurological. Marek's comes to mind, especially since this chick is about the age you see onset of symptoms. Have your chicks been vaccinated against Marek's?

Another thing that comes to mind is neurotoxin poisoning. Those red berries should be identified. Find out what plant they're from. The list of plants poisonous to poultry is a brief one. http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/...ickens/plants-that-are-poisonous-to-chickens/

I've had a chick very recently eat grit from under my log splitter and she had very similar symptoms to the ones you describe. Any machine in the area of where the chickens hang out leaking fluids onto the soil? Petroleum distillates are as poisonous as insecticides.

You can try B vitamins and vitamin E and selenium, as they may help the condition if it's caused by a vitamin deficiency. At least you can rule that cause out if the chick doesn't respond.

If it's poisoning, the prognosis isn't good. Once a neurotoxin hits the brain, the damage is done.

If it is Marek's you certainly want to find out. If this chick dies, I strongly recommend you get a necropsy. A university extension office can steer you to where you can obtain it.

-------------------------------
None were vaccinated for anything. How would I go about administering the vitamins and in what dose?

I'd do the vitamin E 400 and a sliver of a selenium tablet first. Once a day for a week and see what happens. If it works, you should begin to see improvement after a week.

B-2 or a B complex tablet once a day for a week if the above doesn't work.

Vitamin deficiencies can happen suddenly and just as suddenly, be cured.

But there are so many causes of leg and balance problems, this is but one.

Any chance you have something in the house that is giving off spores or something which is harming her breathing? Sorry only thing I can think of at the moment after I researched aspergillosis

Not that I know of but I hope not! It does seem similar to the acute form minus the rapid breathing. Just gave her another dose of the vitamins but shes going down fast.

Back
Top Bottom