Losing birds daily!

Dan SC

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2022
I have a flock of close to 80 birds which includes three turkey. Over the last few weeks they started displaying signs of respiratory issues. Also displayed text book style gape, worm gasping. I treated for Gape worms and it appeared they were getting better. Then signs of respiratory illness started to show up with some discharge from beak and eyes. I quarantined the worst but treated entire flock with broad-spectrum antibiotic. Still losing birds.

I’ve attached pictures of eyes swollen and closed. Hard to see the discharge from nose are of beaks!
6A3F57D2-ED1C-47B4-817C-3CA6D76DAB9A.jpeg
93944A23-FBC2-4D33-B4BD-AB0BF582496C.jpeg
1456DAE0-BAC0-444D-B60C-A1C373CD2B5C.jpeg
C6AEA67B-A3F1-4AF7-9F9E-09B90D058DD8.jpeg
2B6D1994-7C84-4343-AFA2-F57234EBEE74.jpeg

Last edited:
Where are you located?
I know Avian Influenza has been going around so I would look into getting a necropsy done. How long are they showing symptoms before dying?

I have a flock of close to 80 birds which includes three turkey. Over the last few weeks they started displaying signs of respiratory issues. Also displayed text book style gape, worm gasping. I treated for Gape worms and it appeared they were getting better. Then signs of respiratory illness started to show up with some discharge from beak and eyes. I quarantine the worst but treated entire flock with broad-spectrum antibiotic. Still losing birds.
I feel for u. are the turkeys also being effected?

Where are you located?
I know Avian Influenza has been going around so I would look into getting a necropsy done. How long are they showing symptoms before dying?
Some have not been showing symptoms at all, others have been being treated for about two weeks. I’m located in South Carolina.

Last edited:
I have a flock of close to 80 birds which includes three turkey. Over the last few weeks they started displaying signs of respiratory issues. Also displayed text book style gape, worm gasping. I treated for Gape worms and it appeared they were getting better. Then signs of respiratory illness started to show up with some discharge from beak and eyes. I quarantined the worst but treated entire flock with broad-spectrum antibiotic. Still losing birds.

I’ve attached pictures of eyes swollen and closed. Hard to see the discharge from nose are of beaks!View attachment 3353682View attachment 3353685View attachment 3353686View attachment 3353687View attachment 3353688
Update, I found an avian vet near me, but they won’t let me bring in a bird, do a fecal test or anything. They said I would have to take a dead bird in for a necropsy. I wouldn’t mind doing that but th the closest place to get it done is 2 hours drive one way. It’s crazy!

Back
Top Bottom