Losing Chicks One by One, Not Thriving...

BlackSheepWhiteFeathers

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2020
I’ve started to lose chicks one by one since they turned 7 days old, they started to get pasty butt a few days after I’d gotten them when they were around 4 days old, starting with the White Marans, and then later my Buff Brahma (which was the spunkiest most vigorous chick).

The smallest go first, they’re eating and drinking until I see one get small and sits tiredly and exhausted with eyes closed and the next day passes, I can always notice which one will go the next day by the way they act.

Their feces is sometimes foamy in consistency, or watery. They seem to be eating and drinking well, and I’m refilling the water and food and cleaning the brooder daily as well as the food and water dishes twice daily. I’ve been washing their butts as well when I see some with pasty butts, but they’re still not plumping up, even the large ones seem underweight. I’ve raised hundreds of chicks and I have never came across this problem.

The night before last was a particularly bad night for all of them and I gave them water mixed with diatomaceous earth at night, they drank it up and I refilled with water in the morning, they seemed to all perk up after that and even start to do the “chicken run” with the feathers out and start to clean themselves and look happy for the first time ever. I didn’t give it to them the next night and they seem to slowly get droopy but still eat and drink, another one is looking particularly small again and it’s eyes closed chirping small quiet chirps, I can tell it’s suffering and not feeling good. After that I put in another mix of diatomaceous earth with water for their night time water tonight to see if it will help, although I think when I wake up the smaller chick will be gone when I wake up.

I think they obviously have a stomach bug, and I was researching coccidiosis and it seems like my chickens show similar symptoms.

I told Meyer Hatchery about the chicks and they told me they probably picked it from the environment here and to call some environment agency to help figure it out. I find that hard to believe as I don’t have any chickens right now, the place I keep the chicks is a large fish tank that has been soaked in bleach, rinsed with scalding hot water, scrubbed with dish soap, rinsed with scalding hot water, Clorox wiped down, and then windexed... the chicks had no contact with any environment other birds have come into contact with and I have no other animals at the moment. I’ve decided I am not using Meyer Hatchery anymore, or large scale hatcheries.

I’m a little worried.... has anyone had this problem and fixed it? I feel like I’m going to lose my chicks one by one, they fade away one by one. I’m hoping the diatomaceous earth works for perking them up again, and if it does I will keep giving it to them every night until I see them making a good gain and thriving well.

You say that you raised many chicks before,,,,,,, so I don't have any questions I would ask a novice. Some things still do float in my mind.
Are they by chance too warm?
I do prefer to feed medicated chick starter to prevent cocci.
I have no experience giving DE in water. I have only used it as a bedding base, to prevent insects.
You have them in a fish tank. I would lay tank on side, and have screen in front. This would allow better air exchange in my opinion.
That is all I can think of right now. Maybe some other peeps will have other suggestions,
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

No, I wish it was that easy to fix— I’ve looked for then signs of too much warmth and too much cold. I’ve raised hundreds of chicks in this tank, because we like to hatch and get new arrivals in small groups so we can give them a lot of attention and have them very friendly when they go outside to one of the hen houses.

Maybe I will try apple cider vinegar when I go to the store, but I only go once a month and live very much with nature, the once a month part is because of this pandemic we have and the risk of infection to my baby who was born prematurely, and has things that put her in the high mortality risk section of people.

I also gave everyone in my house Diatomaceous Earth, and I must say, it does clean one out very well. 😄

This is the morning after the second dose and they seem to be doing decent and the smallest survived the night. I’m not sure why but the Buff Brahma seems to be the strongest, maybe the White Marans are highly inbred and genetically impaired as far as fighting any bugs they may have acquired?

Thank you for the welcome.

After I started to give diatomaceous earth in the water 24-7– they started to act like normal chickens slowly, I lost one even without pasty butt, it was eating and drinking but not thriving or gaining and it finally couldn’t do it any longer. The rest are doing great now. I am positive that if I didn’t give the diatomaceous earth, I would have lost all of them.

After I started to give diatomaceous earth in the water 24-7– they started to act like normal chickens slowly, I lost one even without pasty butt, it was eating and drinking but not thriving or gaining and it finally couldn’t do it any longer. The rest are doing great now. I am positive that if I didn’t give the diatomaceous earth, I would have lost all of them.
So glad they are doing better!

Symptoms first seen was pasty butt and the white Marans huddled together a little more and didn’t run around like happy chicks, the only one that did was the Buff brahma... the Marans started to get pasty bottoms, and then started to lose weight although feathers grew, even while eating and drinking and getting their butts washed. The dark Brahma later developed pasty butt... and started to head the same way. Once they started to shake/shiver and keep their eyes closed, and stand under the light and appetite decrease, I knew I only had one or two days of them staying alive. Some of their poop was foamy, all of it was diarrhea, sometimes they had water with their poop coming out.

They had a pretty ugly stomach bug I’m sure if it, I’ve never had chicks that sick before, but I’m glad I found something that helps save them.

Back
Top Bottom