Lost 1 the same day I got them all

Hannah12

Chirping
Apr 15, 2024
I picked up eight chicks yesterday from bomgaars (or however you spell it, they took over orschelns). There was one that was pretty little and was super tired when they got home. Ate a couple bites, drank a little water, ended up dying:( no bad poops that I could see. I came in to check on them after doing some outside stuff with my kiddos and little chick was limp, being trampled. I separated it and tried to help it drink water. I got it to drink some but it ended up dying :( me and my toddlers (3&4) already had talks about this and they’re doing fine with it. This momma isn’t though:( I feel so awful although I know that this can happen especially from shipping and stress maybe? What I wanted to ask: Should I go ahead and treat the other chicks for coccidiosis incase?
31A78CD9-988F-4B6D-A8C4-02BDAB65136D.jpeg

I wouldn't treat for coccidiosis since no one is ill and the one that died didn't have it. The one that died probably just died from shipping stress. I do third adjusting your brooder setup 'cause even if it wasn't what killed the chick, it's still not ideal especially since it doesn't look like there's a cool area for them to get out of the heat

It was most likely a failure to thrive. Poor little guy just wasn't destined to make it. I agree with the others you need a longer brooder or a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp. They need a cooler section to go to. I brood in plastic totes but use 60w ceramic bulbs for heat and have the heat on one side with lots of ventilation and longer totes.

I use a heat lamp but in a much larger brooder outside. I'm not opposed to heat lamps but like any tool they need to be used properly. It is easy to overheat a small incubator with one. I can't tell for sure but it looks like you have great ventilation up high. That can help keep the heat from building up too high.

You might try putting a thermometer in there to check temperatures. They don't look too hot in your photo (I don't think that was your problem) but you can lower temperature by raising the lamp or using a lower wattage bulb if you need to.

I think your problem is what Killmak called failure to thrive. Some chicks are born with birth defects that don't show up until you get them home or they don't have the instincts for survival. I don't think you did anything wrong to cause it.

It was not Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is caused by a parasite that builds up in numbers. Yours did not have time for those numbers to build up to a dangerous level. Since yours came from a farm store and have not been outside they probably have not been exposed to the bug that causes Coccidiosis anyway.

I agree that the brooder may be too hot (and it's definitely far too small) but it's not likely what happened to the chick. Some chicks get very stressed from shipping + their time in the store so it's best to have electrolytes or a vitamin boost like Poultry Nutri-Drench on hand, and then carefully direct dose any lethargic chicks with a few drops at full strength to help perk them up (be careful as it's easy for chicks to aspirate on liquids).

Wasn't there something on here about heating plastic totes and it putting off chemicals? Not saying that was the reason but something to consider changing.
I always use plastic totes for convenience, and I’ve only had 3 (2 quail and 1 chicken ) die for no discernible reason. I have had some die of shipping stress, poor nutrition in the yolk, broken yolk on hatch day, bad weather, and escaping the run at night (pretty sure that they met my next door neighbor, a literal Bald Eagle, because rural Ohio.) sometimes this just happens to birds. Your best bet is to buy different breeds, or get birds that look like they came from different parents.

Are you sure you aren't overheating them?
It looks like you are using a real heat lamp in a small plastic container.
There is no way for them to get away from the heat which can cause them to over heat and die.
I have a little thermometer in there right under the lamp where it hits most and it’s raised up a little higher the lights in the room were just off at the time! :) all the other chicks are doing good but two had a little bit of pasty butts but got very gently cleaned up!

I use a heat lamp but in a much larger brooder outside. I'm not opposed to heat lamps but like any tool they need to be used properly. It is easy to overheat a small incubator with one. I can't tell for sure but it looks like you have great ventilation up high. That can help keep the heat from building up too high.

You might try putting a thermometer in there to check temperatures. They don't look too hot in your photo (I don't think that was your problem) but you can lower temperature by raising the lamp or using a lower wattage bulb if you need to.

I think your problem is what Killmak called failure to thrive. Some chicks are born with birth defects that don't show up until you get them home or they don't have the instincts for survival. I don't think you did anything wrong to cause it.

It was not Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is caused by a parasite that builds up in numbers. Yours did not have time for those numbers to build up to a dangerous level. Since yours came from a farm store and have not been outside they probably have not been exposed to the bug that causes Coccidiosis anyway.
Thanks for the insight!! It is up high and yes I got them in a bigger tub now but I completely spaced that my kids had got mud in it and had to get that cleaned and fully air dried! I’ll post a pick tomorrow! All the other chicks are doing swell. The thermometer is in there in the pic but it’s from the top and it’s a slimmer thermometer for inside of an oven! I’ve been using it to hatch my last chick and got a replacement for the incubator! So these babies get it now:) thanks for the advice!!

Back
Top Bottom