Lost 1 the same day I got them all

I agree that the brooder may be too hot (and it's definitely far too small) but it's not likely what happened to the chick. Some chicks get very stressed from shipping + their time in the store so it's best to have electrolytes or a vitamin boost like Poultry Nutri-Drench on hand, and then carefully direct dose any lethargic chicks with a few drops at full strength to help perk them up (be careful as it's easy for chicks to aspirate on liquids).
Thank you for the advice! Already put a bigger tub into action. I forgot that my kids had gotten it muddy the day before. It needed to be scrubbed out and fully cleaned:) all other chicks are doing great still🎉

Wasn't there something on here about heating plastic totes and it putting off chemicals? Not saying that was the reason but something to consider changing.
I’d love to change my set up for next year to a bigger round metal bin, I didn’t realize this! Definitely makes me excited for next year:)

It was most likely a failure to thrive. Poor little guy just wasn't destined to make it. I agree with the others you need a longer brooder or a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp. They need a cooler section to go to. I brood in plastic totes but use 60w ceramic bulbs for heat and have the heat on one side with lots of ventilation and longer totes.
Thanks for the feedback! I did have a different tub but totally spaced that it had been played in the night before. So that’s what I had on hand. They’re much more comfortable now and I’ll post a pic tomorrow!

It’s not tomorrow but here’s the pic. I do plan on cleaning out another tub this size when they all get a little older so they have enough room. Some may say it’s overkill but I check on them every house from 6am-10pm/12am. I’m constantly cleaning out water and poop bits and overseeing the flock dynamic.
That’s a rice sock I put in there overnight because the temp dropped and I was worried they’d get cold and thought they might enjoy something to “roost” on :) they love it!! I replace the sock everyday although I’m running out of old throw away mismatches and I want to replace it something easier to clean soon lol. I just thought it added a touch of comfort to them since they don’t have a mama raising them. I want to meet all the needs I can for these little dudes!
BD09E113-AACC-4EED-979E-B8BE7FF4D290.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom