Lost on this help. Need help

FreedomGalTx

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2023
I have a Wyandotte who stopped laying. I thought one was pecking her feathers. All of a sudden her breathing sounds like human pneumonia....she is eating & drinking fine, maybe sitting more than usual. I gave her colloidal Silver then we noticed 3 things. 1) she appears to have dandruff? 2) her feathers are literally just falling off. 3) worm segments in her poop. Added vetrx and have a dose equinox de wormer. Put her separate in a cage. The other four are fine. Worms are straight forward. We had one with upper respiratory last year but this sounds waaay different. As if you hear fluids in the neck area as she breathes. I have doxy liquid on hand but figured I would try colloidal Silver 1st. The feather/ skin thing has me baffled. I did notice yesterday her sister Wyandotte seemed to be "groom eating" off her feathers. Looks just like dandruff. Can anyone offer any help? Idk if the 3rd pic shows the white flakes

Attachments

• 20240423_163723.jpg
    20240423_163723.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240423_163736.jpg
    20240423_163736.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240423_163746.jpg
    20240423_163746.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 5
Looks like you are dealing with TAPEWORMS.

Can you post a picture of the EQUINOX stuff you used? How much did you use and how many times?

Ok. Yesterday her poop was clear, I would have noticed, also no gurgling noise. When giving her colloidal Silver & Vetrx she pooped & bam worm segments
So I gave her one less than pea size paste dose. And as a matter of fact for the first time buying(I usually use DE, the flies got bad in South Texas in the run so I put lime on the ground. I did look at her feathers but im not actually sure I could identify mites. She us the only one of 5 with any of these things that I see.

Attachments

• 20240423_170550.jpg
    20240423_170550.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 9
They were all treated with ivermectin pour on drops in January as prevention
And all dewormed with paste for the same segments in the fall, all of them had worm segments.

Ok. Yesterday her poop was clear, I would have noticed, also no gurgling noise. When giving her colloidal Silver & Vetrx she pooped & bam worm segments
So I gave her one less than pea size paste dose. And as a matter of fact for the first time buying(I usually use DE, the flies got bad in South Texas in the run so I put lime on the ground. I did look at her feathers but im not actually sure I could identify mites. She us the only one of 5 with any of these things that I see.
Scrape up the DE and lime for now. Equimax is dosed by weight, the 'pea sized dose' is not accurate.

I'm aware of the inaccurate pea size dose. I did
.1 on 1ml syringe
It did seem to work last time. What would mites look like & would they make her feathers fall off? Wouldn't the rest have them? They have 3 dust bath areas including the sand under my pool deck, regular dirt with a little DE always mixed in. This was time I put down Saturday Lime(rip off) on the ground

Diet hasn't changed. They forage morning & evening in the back yard. New Organics layer crumble with scratch & dried mealworms as a daily treat. All same for the last year. Apple Cider Vinegar in water in the summer. Now I'm scared of Mareks after seeing another feather loss post. I'm going to check her vent area & skin where feathers are really good before they roost. Her voice sounds normal but her breathing sounds like there is fluid like human crackles with pneumonia (sorry I'm a people nurse ) I do have a problem with wild birds getting into the run through the chicken wire. I didn't think about that when I built it. The coop smaller run is 1/4inch.

The stress can cause them to molt. Having a lot of tapeworms like isn't good.

Post in thread 'The Truth About the "Pea Sized Blob" of Horse Paste De-Wormer' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...f-horse-paste-de-wormer.1141545/post-17748695

The gurgling sounds like a respiratory disease.

ACV in water isn't good especially during the summer. It can inhibit the absorption of calcium.

What feed do you feed? Do you feed treats?

The lime stuff could be burning her skin.
It's about as useless as DE.

Back
Top Bottom