Lost so many baby chicks!!!šŸ˜­

I donā€™t believe garlic is toxic to birds or at least chickens, I feed my girls garlic at least weekly as a natural worm and parasite preventative. They eat it right up, sometimes the flavor is to strong and some will not eat it, but I have never seen negative side affects to feeding my hens garlic. (At least that I know of) Iā€™d definitely make sure the amount is safe however, I usually only use 2-3 cloves for my 13 hen flock. ā¤ļøšŸ’• (BTW this is not a tested or proven ratio, itā€™s just what works for my girls and what I feel safe feeding them)
That sounds fantastic, I'll keep that in mind.
I've been working on researching 'safe cures', for the last few months and it's looking like high enough doses of garlic to prevent worms, has a likelihood to prevent chickens, if you get my drift. There's evidence that it has great promise as a wormer, especially in areas where anthelmintic resistance is prevalent but it needs to have certain compounds refined to be most ffective. High doses of garlic can cause death or stroke like symptoms at the worst, constipation at the best, but I don't think that amount will hurt them at all. I wonder, since chickens can't taste spice, if they just get a mellow garlic taste like roast garlic?

@nuthatched
thank you for going into details a little bit more on why garlic is toxic to birds. I never knew there was any harm behind using garlic, I just always knew that it was safe in moderation.šŸ™‚ I love to use it for so many things.

I totally understand Celiac, my mom and brothers also have Celiac and finding a gluten free and celiac safe chicken feed is always so hard. We were able to find this one and it worked really well for our 4 fall chicks. I donā€™t know if this company ships, however.

I would definitely get them on a chick starter even if you have to find one online to buy. I love the idea of making your own feed and really want to one day myself, but those first days are always so fragile and hard, so I always just use a starter in the beginning. Good luck!šŸ˜ŠšŸ‘
I hope this doesnā€™t come off as offensive, but google can only do so much and iā€™m curious. I thought Celiac only affects when being ingested, how would touching chicken feed cause problems?

I donā€™t believe garlic is toxic to birds or at least chickens, I feed my girls garlic at least weekly as a natural worm and parasite preventative. They eat it right up, sometimes the flavor is to strong and some will not eat it, but I have never seen negative side affects to feeding my hens garlic. (At least that I know of) Iā€™d definitely make sure the amount is safe however, I usually only use 2-3 cloves for my 13 hen flock. ā¤ļøšŸ’• (BTW this is not a tested or proven ratio, itā€™s just what works for my girls and what I feel safe feeding them)
X2. Just want to add it does usually change the flavor of eggs. But i saw no side effects for mine personally. I donā€™t regularly feed them it because they hate eating it, but they have had it before.

I donā€™t think dried mealworms, mine have eaten thousands upon thousands and never gotten it. But itā€˜s very easy to be transmitted from live earthworms i know.
Makes sense that they would be contaminated from the soil. However, we don't know if the OP fed those to her chicks.

Back
Top Bottom