Lost two hens last night

Renegade

Songster
12 Years
Oct 8, 2007
Griffin, GA
Our chickens free range all day in a fully fenced 6 acre pasture and spend the night in a smaller fenced area with a coup away from our horses and goats.
This morning I went out to feed and two of my hens were dead.
sad.png
One had all of the meat on the neck eaten off and the chest had been opened up. The hole in the chest was maybe 3" across. The other bird was a few feet away and only had the hole in the chest. Anyone have any ideas what may have done this?
It has been 2-3 years since we've had any problems with predators.

Donna

If the holes are clean and bloodless, think Rats. I lost a pullet last year and it had a hole in the breat that looked as clean as if a surgeon had cut it, no blood anywhere. People didn't belive me until I caught a rat in the act in broad daylight.

Do your chickens have roosts? You may want to search online or hardware stores for those rat traps where the bait is inside a black box and the rat can not move the poison away from the box.

Quote:
Sorry for your loss.
Since my last loss, I have focused on preventing any future losses over what type of predator caused the last one.
I have learned the hard way that it is critically important to lock them in at night.

racoon definetly. It sounds a little bit weird but that is exactly what happened to my rooster head was pulled off and chest ripped open and almost ate his entire chest. Im sorry for your loss its hard im lucky I only lost one. Again sorry for your loss.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom