Lots of symptoms - can't narrow down what's wrong

virgkeeley

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2017
Here are the symptoms ~
Comb looking dry
Hot and swollen between legs
Poopy butt that doesn't stay clean after a bath for very long.
Very protruding breast bone
Eating but not drinking
Weak legs does not get up on roost anymore, or in coop at night.
Wide leg stance when standing
Lost weight
Puffs feathers out when sitting.
Does not move, lethargic
Had lots of white lice or mite eggs ( gone now after bathing a couple of times)
Had maggots around butt lesion, got rid of that with hydrogen peroxide, Epsom salt bath and vinegar and salt spray, then a coating of corn starch (I read a lot of forums last night and just went all in with what I had). Crop feels fine.

Her usual routine - soy free feed from H and H "old fashioned" grain mix. Free range in big backyard from 7am to 8pm.
7 sisters - none sick. She is a RIR about 3 years old. She and her sister RIR stopped laying about a year ago.

Since brining her inside yesterday I have fed her a mix of water, acv, oatmeal, plain whole milk yogurt, and chicken vitamin powder. She was eating well earlier today but tonight not so much.

Her poops are pictured below. The watery one is from yesterday the other one is from today.

I looked closely at her poops and couldn't see any worms. I have read so much in the past 24 hours I am quite confused as to where to start. If she makes it through the night. There is a tractor supply here but no vet willing to help.

With her symptoms, I would think that she might be suffering from egg yolk peritonitis. It is very common in hens 2 and older, especially in today's hatchery hens. Symptoms include walking like a duck, irregular laying history or not laying, runny poops, weight loss in the breast, fullness in the lower belly, poor appetite, and other symptoms. Most treatments including antibiotics may fail to cure this. You still can try antibiotics on her if you wish, to see if it helps. I would try to make her comfortable and always keep her bottom clean. Right now, I would do some daily soaks on her butt to make sure that all of the maggots are gone. Apply some antibiotic ointment to her lesion. Pictures can help. If she seems to be suffering, I would think about how to put her down. This is a terrible disease that is all too common in hens.

She hasn't laid an egg in a year. Could it still be EYP. Neither of my reds have laid one I about hat long. The other chicken seems fine.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

No reason a hen or TWO of that age shouldn't be laying.
hmm.png

Really does sound like a parasite problem to me.

Even though you don't see worms in the poo... I highly recommend you get a fecal float done. Usually $15 to $25 at any vet, doesn't have to be avian. And might be cheaper than throwing all kinds of fixes with no results. And I wouldn't JUST worm, as you wanna make sure you get the right ones.

Is your acv raw with Mother?

You say soy free feed... what is the protein content on that? What else do you give... treats and supplements?

Poultry Nutridrench is taken up into the blood stream almost immediately and very effective in many cases.

I would push liquids but not worry too much about feed right now. She will not OD on vitamins as the extra will just be excreted through the feces. But electrolytes can get off balance easily like with the salt and potassium.

Even though the others seem fine, they may have the same issue but with a stronger immune system for whatever reason. They all are individuals. If you do have to treat for worms I would treat the whole flock. And if your one girl had lice and mites, your whole flock NEEDS to be treated! Some mites are actually microscopic so you won't see them.

Note, EVERY dogs also have a type of mites all the time... it is only a problem when the immune system is down and the population explodes and then becomes mange. They check this by scraping the skin and looking under the microscope and counting how many are in that scraping. It can be hard during the day time to see. But take a flashlight in the evening after they have gone to roost and put them on their back, legs bent towards chest and part the feather with the flashlight see how many you see running away. Doing things at roost also avoids any chasing if your flock doesn't just jump into your arms.
smile.png
The following link has info on how to determine if you need to treat... And I think you do.

http://extension.psu.edu/animals/po...entations/2012/egg-layer-program/mite-control

Is your feed a layer with about 4% protein? Too much calcium in non layers such as broody's, molting hens, roosters, or growing birds can (doesn't mean will) cause kidney issues.

http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf

IF your girl doesn't make it, I highly suggest you get a necropsy done to determine the cause of death. Many states and universities will do it cheap or free of charge..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

I thought chickens don't digest dairy such as yogurt? Scrambled egg is good for the micro nutrients and ease of digesting... plus it ups the protein which seems to help stressed birds, it's the amino acids in it.

When did they last molt and how has your weather been? Though I doubt it's weather related since it's been going on for a while. But if they were hot and drank lots of water it can make the poo runny.

I would start with the fecal float test!
old.gif

Hope she feels better!
fl.gif

My RIRs from the hatchery were the same way. Laid great for a couple of years and then nothing. They showed the same symptoms as yours when they were 3 years old. I put them on antibiotics and made sure they were eating. I think they got egg yolk peritonitis. One by one they stopped eating, which to me is a sign that they aren't going to recover. I put them down peacefully. If yours are eating they have a chance. I wish you luck!

Internal layers can lay eggs inside their abdomen instead of the reproductive tract. When these chickens are butchered, you may find egg material or layered lash eggs which are products of infection. Unfortunately, egg yolk peritonitis and internal laying is one of the most common causes of flock death when you keep chickens for many years. If you don't mind reading a few short articles, click on the three below for more information: http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

No reason a hen or TWO of that age shouldn't be laying. :/

Really does sound like a parasite problem to me.

Even though you don't see worms in the poo... I highly recommend you get a fecal float done. Usually $15 to $25 at any vet, doesn't have to be avian. And might be cheaper than throwing all kinds of fixes with no results. And I wouldn't JUST worm, as you wanna make sure you get the right ones.

Is your acv raw with Mother?

You say soy free feed... what is the protein content on that? What else do you give... treats and supplements?

Poultry Nutridrench is taken up into the blood stream almost immediately and very effective in many cases.

I would push liquids but not worry too much about feed right now. She will not OD on vitamins as the extra will just be excreted through the feces. But electrolytes can get off balance easily like with the salt and potassium.

Even though the others seem fine, they may have the same issue but with a stronger immune system for whatever reason. They all are individuals. If you do have to treat for worms I would treat the whole flock. And if your one girl had lice and mites, your whole flock NEEDS to be treated! Some mites are actually microscopic so you won't see them.

Note, EVERY dogs also have a type of mites all the time... it is only a problem when the immune system is down and the population explodes and then becomes mange. They check this by scraping the skin and looking under the microscope and counting how many are in that scraping. It can be hard during the day time to see. But take a flashlight in the evening after they have gone to roost and put them on their back, legs bent towards chest and part the feather with the flashlight see how many you see running away. Doing things at roost also avoids any chasing if your flock doesn't just jump into your arms. :)  The following link has info on how to determine if you need to treat... And I think you do.

http://extension.psu.edu/animals/po...entations/2012/egg-layer-program/mite-control

Is your feed a layer with about 4% protein? Too much calcium in non layers such as broody's, molting hens, roosters, or growing birds can (doesn't mean will) cause kidney issues.

http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf

IF your girl doesn't make it, I highly suggest you get a necropsy done to determine the cause of death. Many states and universities will do it cheap or free of charge..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

I thought chickens don't digest dairy such as yogurt? Scrambled egg is good for the micro nutrients and ease of digesting... plus it ups the protein which seems to help stressed birds, it's the amino acids in it.

When did they last molt and how has your weather been? Though I doubt it's weather related since it's been going on for a while. But if they were hot and drank lots of water it can make the poo runny.

I would start with the fecal float test! :old

Hope she feels better! :fl

To answer the questions - here is the tag from her feed - You will see that it is about 4-5% calcium and 19% protein http://handhsoyfreenongmofeed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Old-Fashion-Layer-1159-700LR.jpg

I'm using braggs acv - no mother in there I don't think.

I'm in central Texas and we have had a very mild winter this year. The mildest in years with almost no days anywhere near freezing.

My chickens haven't moulted in about 1-2 years. I had a RIR die of a possible heart attack about a year ago. And since then the two other reds haven't laid an egg.

I guess I'm going to try and find a vet who will do a fecal float. I'm not having much luck with local help. Also, Where do you get antibiotics from? I thought they were prescription only? I'm headed off to the feed store now to see how they can assist.

Back
Top Bottom