"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Thank you So much Jeff
smile.png

I am new to raising chickens. Got my first 8 in March and now have 17(still haven't :)figured out how that happened) Lol! Im so excited right now
big_smile.png
I got my first eggs a couple days ago.
I have been reading this forum for a couple months now and have really enjoyed how friendly and close y'all are. The information and knowledge y'all have has been so usefully to me.
Again Thanks so much for the Welcome and in information.
Anna
Also welcome from me!
frow.gif

Glad to hear that we have been of some use!  Don't hesitate to get with me about the lavs or with anyone else here about any particular breed.  I think we all have quite the variety and if we don't have it, typically we know someone who does.  Everyone here makes every effort to raise good, healthy birds.

Chicken Math -- you went from 8 to 17.  LOL...I went from 11 to somewhere in the neighborhood of 140???????  It happens.  You just smile and buy more feed.

Terri and Julie -- if I whistle my peas will go crazy whistling back. And it is LOUD!  If I'm not right over the brooder where they can see me they run around looking everywhere trying to find me.  Beautiful!!

Chickenbelle yall have been very useful lol, and if you would like to know entertaining at times. :D My friend (Bigpigjen. Her screen name here on BYC) is very interested but will be busy the next few days. She will try to contact you when she gets a break.
Yes I learned chicken math quickly. Haha. :lol:

Lol: 8 to 17 and doesn't know how. Welcome to chicken math. Don't worry you are normal and you are in the right place. Btw, bunny math can also be a problem. Lol. So far I still have more chickens than rabbits so I am still officially a chicken person, right? Lol.

Oh don't tell me that. We have been talking about getting 2 mini Rex or lion head rabbits. :) that's just what I need a rabbit obsession. Lol

Soooooooooooo, I have a new neighbor that may have worked for BP with all of the oil that he is dumping in the ditch by my house, as well as trash.
somad.gif
He probably doesn't know who lives near him (ME). Well the sheriff will be coming out to talk to me after work about my complaint and then making a visit to his house to give him the, "Have you seen anyone dumping oil and trash in the ditch over there?" We'll see how that turns out.

Good for you! That's ridiculous!

The little black chicken (which we nicknamed Flo) is by far smarter than any of my birds. Although I know not to put a new chicken in with the old ones, I didn't really have much of a say so. My grandma saw her running in the yard and the next time she saw her she was walking around in the chicken pen. She comes and goes as she pleases, occasionally leaving an egg. The fence isn't high enough to help.

On the other hand, the girls followed her example and now 2 are laying!

Edit: What should we do? Clip her wing?

Last edited:
"

"What rabbits do you have, Show..." Is the rabbit thread I've been following.

If you haven't already be sure to follow the rabbit thread. It's active daily. Lots of experts about breeds etc.

Ok. Thanks. It's a thought right now. I haven't even started researching them yet. Thanks for the thread I didn't realize there was one for rabbits. Is there one for goats? We will be getting 2 baby Pygmy any day now just waiting for the call they are ready. Our Farm has gone way past horses and cows. Lol.

If you

If you want egg production and toughness against LA summers, my Black Stars have filled the bill for me. They are super layers and seem unfazed by the heat and humidity. They are quite hardy and they are easily sexed at birth if you want chicks but only want girls. My RIR pants more and so do the Amercuanas.

One of my Black Stars taking a dust bath.
I looked at sex link(Black Star) as one of the possible turn to breeds. Australorps from what I have read have a very good nature to them. Hens brood well if the need comes up. Plus the egg production bit. When I get them in and through the process I will (if I do not forget) take photos and keep record. Post them up here when I have a good amount of info.

Back
Top Bottom