Low hatch rate this time

archeryrob

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
Western Maryland
We put 22 of our dark brahma eggs in the incubator and the oldest was two weeks. Only have 2 breeder hens and trying to build the flock from them. Last year we got over 90% and this time square on 50%. Of 22 eggs we got 11 live birds. 2 eggs never developed and There is 7 down there developed that never got out of there shells. 3 didn;t crack them and 4 cracked them like pipping and are dead. Any thoughts as to why so make died in the eggs after growing?

There are a lot of factors to consider. What are you using to incubate? What temp are you incubating? How are you storing and caring (temps, turning, etc) for the eggs before setting them in the incubator? Are you using an alternate/separate calibrated thermometer and hydrometer? What is the humidity during incubation and hatching? What are you feeding the parent stock?

@MGG

Hens are on layer feed just like last year. Humidity is 60% and temp is 99.9 to 99.8 and eggs tuned in a turner for 18 days and and then set on the screen for the last two plus days. GQF Hova-bator
Is that checked with a separate calibrated thermometer and a salt tested hygrometer?

Eggs were stored in the basement 63 - 65 degrees. No special hydrometer and i'm not buying one. Temp was verified before putting the eggs in. I fill the 4 troughs with water each week as I see the humidity dropping.

It worked perfect last year with one hen, only change was adding a new hen and half the eggs failed. The new hen lays slightly larger eggs, which is why she was added. Might have to mark those before setting batch two.

Eggs were stored in the basement 63 - 65 degrees. No special hydrometer and i'm not buying one. Temp was verified before putting the eggs in. I fill the 4 trays with water each week as I see the humidity dropping.

It worked perfect last year with one hen, only change was adding a new hen and half the eggs failed. The new hen lays slightly larger eggs, which is why she was added. Might have to mark those before setting batch two.
My brand new incubator has temp spikes. I still had some to hatch but I suspect they were in cooler spots in the incubator. The incubator readout said the temp was correct but multiple calibrated thermometers alerted me to the spikes. It will heat correctly at one time and then spike out of the blue. My other incubator thermometer was reading correctly in August 2020. Now, it's off by a couple of degrees. This is why it's important to have a calibrated thermometer and hydrometer in the incubator. This may be a factor.

Back
Top Bottom