luck with buff orpingtons

urban hen momma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Tacoma, WA
The back story is we started out with threek chicks, about 6 weeks old when we got them. One RIR, a barred rock and a buff orpington. The buff orpington didn't make it.

So we got 6 more chicks, a few days old from the local feed store. Two of each of the same breeds. Now at about 2 1/2 weeks old, the RIR are the largest... I know chicks are going to grow at different rates, but the runty one of the bunch is a buff orpington. She is half the size of the RIRs. She seems to be feathering out at the same rate as the two barred rocks and other buff. She seems to eat and drink okay, but seems to sleep more then the others. I guess this worries me becasue that seemed to be the only symptom of the first buff we had... she slept a lot more then the others and just didn't grow at the same rate. I am hopeful she will make it and is just small, but in the back of my mind I can't help comparing her to the one we lost.
hmm.png

I have never had issues with buff orps growing out. Of course I only grow them out with orps. I have heard others say that because orps are more timid, they get pushed away from the feed more than other breeds. Could this be happening with your little one? Also, keep an eye for pasty butt, as common symptoms are slower growing when they have poop troubles. And sometimes there is just a weak one in a group. This is natures way of culling for thriftier life forms. I'm sorry to hear you're having these problems and hope you find what is ailing her.

My buff is the dominant chicken out of two. She is feisty and has a great personality. Don't give up on your little BO. They are a great breed and lay beautiful eggs. I hope your little guy picks up some size soon.
fl.gif

I actually just checked her little bum and she's clean. She seems to hold her own just fine in the group - no one picks on her. I don't spend hours watching them, and ocasionally I will see one or two chicks poop while I am in there. The runty one, I have not noticed her pooping lately, but I did just see she does a little bum wiggle that looks like she might be pooping but nothing comes out? Could she be constipated?

Update on my little buff

I have been watching her more closely in the last several days. She is eating, drinking and eliminating well. She is still feathering out at the same rate as the other buff orpington. When she's laying down next to some of the others, her body size doesn't appear much smaller - her head and legs are what seem to be lagging in growth the most. She seems to be spunky - even pushing others out of the way to feed.

When it comes time for them to move outside, if she has all her feathers, and just smaller, is it okay for her to go out with the rest of the girls? (I am hoping our northwest summer will show up soon)! Is there anything I can do to help her grow, or is it just a matter of time? I am preparred for her to be the one that doesn't make it, but if there is more I can do rather then just wait and see, I want to do what I can! Any advice would be great!

I think you will find that once she is out with the others, she will catch up in size. With my six Australorps, the difference in size between the top chick and the bottom chick, while in the brooder, was dramatic. The smallest chick slept more, and often off by herself. I put them all out together at the same time because they were all feathered out and otherwise healthy. When I put them out, the bottom chick was a third smaller than the top three. After two months, all of them are the same size, except top chick, and she is still the largest and got her comb and wattle color much sooner than the rest, but I can no longer pick her out from the rest.

Even though she is spunky, she might still be getting less feed than the others. It wouldn't hurt to give her a few extra feedings by herself, including high protein foods like boiled eggs and dairy like yogurt and buttermilk.

Thank you! I am happy to hear that she just may do great after all. Hopefully I am just worrying too much
fl.gif
I will try some extra feedings on her own to see if we can't stimulate some growth!

Back
Top Bottom