Lump On Beak! Added Pics!

andischickenfarm

Songster
12 Years
Jun 19, 2007
N.E. Oklahoma
My hen just recently got a black looking lump under her beak and there is also one on top that isn't as big. The one on top looks bloody and the bottom one runs stuff out of it when I squeeze it. She is still eating and drinking just fine. I've never had this to happen before. What could this be and what can I do for her?

Thanks,
Andi

Here is some pics.

TOP OF BEAK
BeakTop.png

BOTTOM OF BEAK
BeakBottom.png

Last edited:
Sounds to me like it is an abscess or hematoma with a drainage. Basically, a bloody infection, or a bad bruise that is also leaking some fluids. Either way the hen is going to be prone to infection and antibiotics might be a really good idea. Is there something in the coop (like an exposed nailtip or some loose, stiff wire) that she could have pecked and hurt herself on? That might be the answer as to the cause.

Good luck with that.

-MTchick

This looks like avian pox to me. I know this is an old thread, but I just stumbled across it and thought others might in the future and need to know this looks like avian pox. Look up info. on this disease as it is highly contagious and can be fatal depending on pox type (wet or dry) especially in very young birds. If the original poster is still reading this thread, what happened with this chicken?

Hello Andi,
I know this is way past the fact, but I just ran into the pictures of your Chick, while trying to diagnose ours. The picture of your Chicken looks identical to ours. Type of Chicken and condition. Whatever happened to Her? We've had "Fluffy" seven years but this growth looks pretty bad. I'm afraid for Her at this point. Any comment would be appreciated.

sincerely,
Lannie

Back
Top Bottom