Magpie ducklings -update, new ducklings, and LOTS of pics!

mlheran

Songster
12 Years
Mar 21, 2007
Sonoma County, California
I just wanted to give a little update on my Magpie ducklings since I've recieved so much help from this wonderful board.
hugs.gif

A couple weeks ago I posted about my little duckling runt and how she wasn't doing very well (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5413). Well I followed the wonderful dlhunicorn's advice about the vitamins and I am thrilled to report that she is now 1000% better! She's still smaller, but she's running around, using her neck just fine for all the preening contorsions, and "talking" with her friend.

The only sad news about my trio is that a few days after that post I lost my male duckling. He somehow got his foot stuck and I think he had a heart attack. It broke my heart to lose him like that -perfectly fine and then dead within an hour.
hit.gif
I think the girls missed him too.

But now the girls are doing fabulous -getting lots of feathers, talking up a storm, and growing faster than weeds (they are 4 weeks old)! This past weekend I decided to put them out in their future pen during the day so I could clean their soggy brooder. Well they had a BLAST!!
wee.gif

Here they are before going out...

051807A.jpg

051807B.jpg

The big one is Maggie and the small one is Bitsy.
big_smile.png

051807C.jpg

Once they were in the pen they wasted no time jumping in the pool!

051907A.jpg

There are brick steps leading into and out of the pool, but that old tire mat is perfect for their little feet...
051907B.jpg

And because I'm a nerd:
051907C.jpg

Best seat in the house! (er, yard.)
051907D.jpg

After I lost the male I kind of made an impulse order from Ideal.
tongue.png
Last Friday night I placed an order for 3 Magpie females, 2 Magpie males, and 2 Silver-laced Cochin Banties, and listed the desired delivery date as "ASAP" since I didn't have any particular date in mind. Besides, I figured they would call or email to let me know when it would actually be shipped. Well I'd been waiting for the confirmation email and was planning on calling them today, but I was awoken this morning by a call from the POST OFFICE!
th.gif
Surprise!

Happiness is a little box of warm peepers!
love.gif

052307A.jpg

I have to say, blue marker on a yellow duckling who has black spots makes for very confusing sexing! The marker looks almost exactly like their dark spots!
barnie.gif

The upper left duckling (in profile) is marked as a male...
052307B.jpg

(Also, the duckling on the right was droopy from the start -I lost her later in the day.
sad.png
)

These banties have even fuzzier legs than my current 2-week chicks!
052307C.jpg

The second duckling from the left is also marked as a male -can you tell?
lol.png

052307D.jpg

052307E.jpg

052307F.jpg

052307G.jpg

(Again, a marked male on the left)

Everyone looks healthy and happy now, and are getting stronger on their legs.
ya.gif

(By the way, this was just the box I put them in while I watered them and prepared their brooder space!)

I'm sorry you lost one of the babies. They are all cute! I really laughed at the pictures of the banties. Their little legs are so fuzzy, they look like they're wearing pants!
lol.png

I love ducks, but I have to keep being strong, for the sake of my fish ponds and all the plants in the veggie filter pond!

Again, they are all just adorable!

Quote:
Aren't they hilarious? They remind me of those furry chaps you see in old western cartoons and movies!
gig.gif

And thanks, duckmadx. It still makes me teary looking through my early photos, but I'm thankful for the ones I have.
smile.png

Last edited:
Trying to find out what kind of duckling I have. Her (his?) name is Cupcake. Cupcake is 2 weeks old in these photos.

And here is Cupcake, at 3 weeks old:

Back
Top Bottom