Maine

Just got my silkies in.

ip5PvEeE2zakD.jpg

Don't think I'm ever going to order from Murray McMurray again. 4 didn't make it, and a 5th is tuch and go.

Does everyone have insulated coops? I am building either a 8×10 or a 8x12 coop with a nice size. I have 12 Isa browns. First time having chickens so not quite sure on coop stuff. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I insulated too. Our second coop (hoop coop) is closed up just with plastic on the ends and it definitely gets a lot colder in there. They survived 30 below last winter just fine, but they didn't look too happy about it.

Congrats on the turkey SCG! I hope they keep coming.

Does everyone have insulated coops? I am building either a 8×10 or a 8x12 coop with a nice size. I have 12 Isa browns. First time having chickens so not quite sure on coop stuff. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated.

I did not insulate. My coop/run is very open and airy. I put up plastic to keep out wind during the winter. This year, even to 17 below zero, there were no frostbitten tips of combs (I had leghorns) and all were healthy, happy, chicken-y. See "my coop" link for what I did.

Back
Top Bottom