Maine

My coop is in the former sun porch (3 5x5 foot windows). It has thick rubber roll roofing membrane over the floor. I cover that with an inch of sand then 4 to 6 inches of shavings. I clean out the used shavings about every week or two, depending on conditions (the nose knows!).

They can go out to the pen in the daylight, weather permitting. When it is wet or snowing, and they are in more, it needs to be cleared out more often. Perhaps because of all the window space, condensation builds up and it gets damp. It is hare to ventilate, esp when the pop door is closed. I can crack one of the 5' windows but worry about weasels forcing the crack wider and getting in to commit mass slaughter.

I actually shovel the shavings into one of the bags they come in and save them for the next now storm. After some shoveling of a circular path around the pen, we cover the path with the used shavings (the divas toes must NOT touch that nasty white stuff!) Since I use a deep litter method in the pen, the shavings incorporate into the bushels of leaves within the pen, and by Spring, the whole is well on its way to compost (or the best topdressing/mulch in the world). Anyway, given the cost of the shavings, I'm glad that they will have a new life as plant growth enhancers!

The new shavings smell so nice. The new pullets are laying every day and the EEs and Isbars are starting back in. The Hampbergs and bantams are still on strike. My splash roo is over the Moon since the two mean roos and guineas are gone. He is deeply infatuated with the new pullets. He gives them first place at the treat bowls (over the older hans, that's loyalty for you).

Christmas and general holiday greetings to all my fellow chicken fanatics.

After getting the two eggs from our pullets yesterday, and another today, I thought about what it took to make an egg. It is quite amazing to me, the pullets convert seeds, berries, bugs, grit, calcium, and grain, along with plenty of water, into something so perfectly ovate, and tasting so good. Their eggs are used in so many recipes, and forms, and all are wonderful. I am adding another level of appreciation for those two-legged wonders.

I hear you. It is truly a miracle. Add to that, being able to hold a warm egg in your hand, and peer inside with a flashlight and watch a tiny little chick dancing around in there. Truly a miracle. Or to hear the many varied vocalizations of a rooster with his girls.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

SCG, Beautiful job on the quilts!!

Striperron & All, thanks for the info on the squirrels!

On the DL, I've tried to do it in my coop with my wood floor. I found you have to add some dirt to get it going then I mist with a spray butyl when it gets too dry. Some people over on the Natural Chicken Keeping thread do DL successfully without dirt floors. If I start smelling ammonia I'll do a partial cleanout of any really stinky stuff. Then dust that area liberally with DE & peat moss to dry it up then cover with clean shavings.

SCG - really lovely quilts!

LG - I don't deep litter, so I can't really help. I do partial clean outs when it gets smelly.

Longgrove - I like the idea of saving the used shavings for snow. My girls won't touch snow either.

Striperon - totally agree about the amazement of chickens! I have new appreciation after witnessing my first hard molt. The molter's feathers are now back in enough so that she doesn't have skin showing anymore. The feathers are lovely. Nature is amazing!

I did a partial clean out today. Shoveled out the stuff under the perches, then moved the stuff in the front to the back after laying down a wheel barrow full of old leaves, compost, and soil from the garden. The coop definitely smells better tonight. Abby is toying around with the idea of going broody. I finally hauled her out of the nest box this afternoon, and set her on the floor of the coop. She maintained her pancake pose. So I picked her up, and set her out in the mud. She decided that sitting in the mud wasn't much fun, so she hiked up her skirt, and joined the rest of the flock to play in the sun!

I'm wanting to plant some more trees this spring. I've done business with Fedco Trees in the past, and also recently discovered St. Lawrence Nursery in New York. I found St Lawrence to be a fantastic company, but this is their last year... the owners are retiring, and it may be several years before the company is reorganized and up and running again. So, does any one know of any other nurseries who offer fruit and landscaping trees, with a focus on edible landscaping that will do well in northern climates?

Sorry to be MIA...busy with kids,work,issues with school. Took my 11yo, almost 12yo, out of public school. Many issues with allergic reactions and missed time...still awaiting surgery for the hip and working...

It's been awhile...I hope everyone had a great Christmas and is gearing up for the New Year. We've had some exciting developments here on our end, but before I go into that, I wanted to share something with you folks that I found for the Christmas tree this year. We were fortunate enough to buy our first house this spring and one of the perks of living away from town is the freedom to raise chickens! This was something DH and I were very much looking forward to and if you can remember way back to spring, we started our flock with 3 Barred Rocks, and our flock grew from there.
As Christmas approached, I really wanted to get a "first Christmas in our new home" ornament for our tree, but nothing out there was a good fit for quirky us. I looked on Etsy.com, where we have our own store, for something unique that was as wacky and chicken-crazed as we are.
So here's the ornament that I know you fellow chicken lovers can appreciate. I wanted to post this before I forgot and the season was over. Here is the Etsy store link so you can see the cool chicken coop ornaments she makes: mawickecreations
The store owner's name is Ann and when I told her that I had Barred Rocks, she offered to make a custom ornament with black and white chickens and a red one, too (we also have red sex links). We personalized it with "Chateaux Poulet, 2014" over the door and that was our perfect first Christmas ornament! Ann is amazing - the details on her little handmade chickens are great and she was a real sweetheart to work with.
I'll post pics of the actual ornament soon and another handmade one that I found that looks like our actual coop. We couldn't leave our chickens out of all the Christmas fun...

Back
Top Bottom