Maine

Oh we really wanted bees this summer but there's too many other projects in the air that need attention this spring / summer. Money, time and skill never seem to meet at the right place...we usually lack one of the three! Lol

We're still in the progress of collecting data on them, it's the first year with that breeding experiment. The goal is 4.5lbs in 10~ weeks which should be a fairly easy benchmark given the parent stock.

We want bees, particularly as we're heavy honey users. It just hasn't fit into the schedule yet, but I've been considering looking for a beekeeper who would want to put one on our property in exchange for some of the honey. I'm building a road side farm stand and would love to stock it with as much as possible.

Oh we really wanted bees this summer but there's too many other projects in the air that need attention this spring / summer. Money, time and skill never seem to meet at the right place...we usually lack one of the three! Lol

I am so glad I have bees. I was really nervous and somewhat confused about them when I first got them but the difference in my produce yields is measurable. Even the wild blackberries had a bumper crop last year with the bees. I get about a gallon of honey per hive so it's not a great yield for the amount of money or work but the honey is to die for delicious. I've had them three years now.

I took bee school with Knox-Lincoln county beekeepers association but heard there's a local one in Albion if you're interested. All total starting fresh with a package and a langstroth hive plus tools and a suit you'll invest about 4 to 500$.

where do you live? In Gorham there is a place that sells straight run buff orpingtons.

Im about two hours away so kind of a haul. I may iust visit my tractor supply every week to see if they get some
1f609.png

I am so glad I have bees. I was really nervous and somewhat confused about them when I first got them but the difference in my produce yields is measurable. Even the wild blackberries had a bumper crop last year with the bees. I get about a gallon of honey per hive so it's not a great yield for the amount of money or work but the honey is to die for delicious. I've had them three years now. 

I took bee school with Knox-Lincoln county beekeepers association but heard there's a local one in Albion if you're interested. All total starting fresh with a package and a langstroth hive plus tools and a suit you'll invest about 4 to 500$. 

A gallon a hive isnt really bad considering they are also really helping your hive!

Hey all! Spring is right around the corner for sure. My egg count has doubled. I am hoping to get new bator built and set eggs for hatch during the April School break. (I guess that means I need to get busy) I'll be hatching chicks for sale if any one interested. Colorful egg basket, focusing on small combed birds. No feathered feet. Also may be thinning out some of the 1 - 2 y.o. hens. If any readers are hatching from their own flocks, you might consider entering the egg gender selection survey I've posted. Using this method, I've increased my pullet % from 40 - 60%.

I just ordered some Speckled Sussex today from out of state to diversify our breeding ops.

I rounded up on the order to bring the cost per bird down, and will have a dozen pullets to spare if anyone is interested. They'll be here on the 18th.

Back
Top Bottom