Major Cold Snap (wind chill -30s)

MistyDF

Chirping
Nov 11, 2018
Indiana
Hoping to get some thoughts on if I need to do any kind of supplemental heat this week. I live in Indiana and typically my 5 girls are ok in the winter. We have a serious cold snap coming in a couple days with air temps at -15 and wind chills in the -30s.

My coop is about 4'W 7'L 4'H and they all roost on the highest roost. I have a sweeter heater above their heads as we had some small frostbite spots last year during a bitterly cold month. The floor is currently about 5" deep pine shaving (I plan to add some more tomorrow). All food and water is in the run underneath the coop and water is heated. They have an auto door.

With this type of temp on its way should I do something extra to add heat to the coop? I was thinking about a heating pad on the roost lol

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks

This is a pic of the coop from this summer... only diff now is the Sweeter Heater is in there above the top roost and the round vents on the top right have a slatted cover I have closed.
24837648_10213136141711386_1136304118418138682_o.jpg

Yeah, my birds have gotten through those temps already too. I actually forgot to shut the door when it was -10 a few days ago and all the birds still did fine. There was a 0mph wind though so that probably explains why.
The worse is yet to come. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom