Major temperature spike, worth trying to save?

torilovessmiles

Songster
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Central West Virginia
I am so disappointed right now. I had 40 eggs in my incubator, hatching some for myself and some for a friend, and last night my digital thermometer started to die and was reading 20 degrees F off. I was confused as to why the incubator was all the way on and reading 90 degrees. But it was really about 110 degrees for hours.

I candled a couple eggs and the embryos weren't moving. Is it even worth it to try and save any of them, or should I just throw all the eggs out and start a new hatch?
Thanks in advance

I guess it depends on how many hours, I heard of someone having an incubator, temp was fine, then the cat decided to take a nap on the incubator, which caused the temp to rise, I think the chicks still made it.

There was someone on here who had a temp spike go to 130! I think one still made it to hatch.

Thanks guys, I'll keep them in for a few more days. This was the first hatch I had that was going perfect, almost every single egg was developing, and these were mostly shipped eggs. Maybe I can still get a few out of it

That stinks! (as a note, I always use an analog thermometer along with the digital in my bator just for this very reason) How old are the embryos? The older the embryo gets, the more resilient it gets. Is it a still air incubator? If it is, you have a better chance for your eggs to survive. I agree with the other users--wait a few days and candle again. If they are dead, you will see the blood ring. Hope you have some survive!!!!

Thanks guys, I'll keep them in for a few more days. This was the first hatch I had that was going perfect, almost every single egg was developing, and these were mostly shipped eggs. Maybe I can still get a few out of it
I'd definitely give it 24 hours and then candle. Shipped eggs are less resilient because of the stress and damage from shipping, but depending on how hot it got inside the egg, there's still a chance. I'm curious as well as to how many days they are.

Lesson learned, never depend on digital therm only I do not care how expensive and "accurate" it is. ALWAYS have analog thermometer with it even cheap one cause it will alert you in case of big "spikes". 2$ aquarium thermometer from Walmart works great.

Sorry I forgot to include that, they're 11 days, still air. I have a mix of bantam and standard eggs incubating
Still air incubators have a higher lethal temp range than forced fan. 11 days the embryo is much more resilient to heat spikes than when it is younger. You have more hope that some of them at least survived. Please update us when you candle next!!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom