Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Welcome Puffypoo, glad to have you join the journey! Technically, its a culling project tho. A breeding project would progress faster, but require greater constraints on my birds.

and of course, more organization on my part.

View attachment 2760603

Two weeks old tommorow, look well feathered. May move them to grow out in the barn this weekend. Get things nice and clean before these chicks make an appearance.

View attachment 2760604
Breeding project, culling project, both are really fun threads to read. I just love seeing how each generation progresses.

Candled the 12 eggs in the incubator last evening. 1 was fail, shell was very porous, I think its called - no development at 2 weeks (yes, I should have candled earlier), shell was splotchy/mottled, nothing going on inside (but no bacteria growing, either. Yay for decent sanitation practices!). Of the other eleven, vigourous movement in seven, the appearance of movement in the remaining four, so that's good. Two of the eggs, coincidentally the largest and darkest shell colors (which I associate with my golden comets - I have four of these set) seem to have much smaller/less well developed chicks inside than the other eggs, though there was plenty of movement in one, and the appearance of movement in the other.

So, cautiously optimistic, but would not be surprised if only 8-10 make it to hatching day late next week - or if a couple take an extra day or three to make their exit into the world.

The unnamed six from last hatch are going into their outside pen each day and doing well - no weights - I have yet to replace the broken scale, with good feather development. Taking them out as soon as I'm done posting. Currently 77 @ 86% humidity with better than even chances of scattered TStorms by mid afternoon, so they need to get their grass and bug time in early.

Four of the six, pictured in the mobile outdoor run for the littles, showing the range of color and pattern. From uniformily pale yellow to a nicely checkered white/brown/cinnamon.
1626440526087.png

Given average outside temps (88-92 day, 72-74 nights), I'm going to move them out to the grow out pen in the barn this weekend, at only two weeks, where they will join the five week olds. The five weeks are ready to fully integrate with the adult flock already, but I'd like to see them benefit from another week of the higher protein (24% feed) before they drop to the 18% mix I'm making for the "adults". Also curious as to how they will get along with their two week old siblings, whom I am moving out early.

That will get the odor source out of the RV, offer plenty of time to get things clean between hatchings, and give me an idea of young bird integration before I have to find out next hatch. If all 11 still in the incubator hatch successfully, this little 30"x14" box I use for a brooder won't hold them for three weeks.

OH, and I need to call the State and arrange my next NPIP testing - its the twice annual AI check, I believe. AND redo some temporary fencing to better contain the birds to be tested. Last time was a bit chaotic, and I have more "adults" now.

Last edited:
Took two males from P1-03 today, age 21 weeks. Both had barring from RUG plus leakage of the gold gene, neither Brahma mamas. Live weights were 4.62 and 4.29#, respectively. So both were disappointments. At least I get to eat my mistakes?

And while I had initially believed P1-03 split 50/50 male/female, its looking more like 70/30, which helps explain why I'm not seeing much uptick in egg production. One I'm still not certain on, but I am reasonably confident. Just hard to pin it down, and its sibling at the same time, so as to ensure I'm not sexing the same bird twice.

One I'm still not certain on, but I am reasonably confident. Just hard to pin it down, and its sibling at the same time, so as to ensure I'm not sexing the same bird twice.

After learning about using zipties for legbands I was finally able to tell my otherwise nearly identical same-breed chicks apart.

One I'm still not certain on, but I am reasonably confident. Just hard to pin it down, and its sibling at the same time, so as to ensure I'm not sexing the same bird twice.
I've had a few cases of nearly-identical birds that I solved (temporarily) by cutting the ends off the tail feathers.

I liked this because I could see the difference from across the yard.

Of course the feathers got replaced at the next molt, but it lasted long enough for me to decide which ones I wanted to keep and which to cull.

Last edited:
You are in luck. Today is hatching day. If the chicks keep to the calendar, as they oh so rarely do.

1626866485138.png

Twelve set, one removes as infertile. Two appeared undersized/slow to develop but still lethargically active before I went into lockdown. One was too dark to see movement, but seemed otherwise developing appropriately. The others were moving vigourously.

I'd be thrilled with ten, but am expecting eight.

/edit and made another Amazon order on Saturday, forgot to add a new scale. Maybe I'll grab a cheapo at Wallyworld when I go in for more plastic shoes to muck around in - the last pair have holes worn in them. They last three, maybe four months. :(

Quick Update on a few birds.

P1-03 had more males than I wanted, some cullings were done yesterday. Some weights today. "Phoenix Blue" from that hatching weighs in at 4.96# - below target weight at age 21 weeks, but obviously carries the gold gene I want. I culled two non "Brahma Mama" cockerels, both barred with leakage, weights in post #383, above. Disappointments.

I was looking at culling a Brahma mama cockerel who appears to have both the barring from the father, RUG, and some of the Brahma pencilling (plus, of course, the feathered feet.) Pictured below - he is being saved from the knife, weight is 5.95# at 21 weeks.

1626877223801.png

The bird has a (likely cockerel) sibling that looks almost identical - a little more blue/grey in the body, a little less green sheen in some of the hackle feathers at 4.51#. Legs aren't quite as beefy. Can you tell I'm really hoping its a pullet???

Will try and get a picture at some point, and mark the bird for visual ID at greater distances.

Back
Top Bottom