Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
This is Ugly White and one of the Reds that remain as breeders. I'm down to "just" ten Roos; Ugly White, another Black and..., the remaining male birds are all variations on Red - one of which is Mahogany.
View attachment 2998064

Ugly White deserves his name, but that blotchy pattern is well on it's way to good camouflage.

I am VERY much a beginner in re: patterns, but I wonder if he carries lacing? You have/had SLW hens, right?

Ugly White deserves his name, but that blotchy pattern is well on it's way to good camouflage.

I am VERY much a beginner in re: patterns, but I wonder if he carries lacing? You have/had SLW hens, right?
HAVE. Yes.
Still have the DBrahma, too.

Ugly White went thru the blender. He's got the Brahma feet, red from I don't know where, some hints of some sort of lacing or barring, and of course a pattern gene. Oh, and his blacks gloss green/purple in the right light. Also, he's BIG. Close to Big Barred in size.

HAVE. Yes.

Ugly White went thru the blender. He's got the Brahma feet, red from I don't know where, some hints of some sort of lacing or barring, and of course a pattern gene. Oh, and his blacks gloss green/purple in the right light. Also, he's BIG. Close to Big Barred in size.

Not pretty, but he's got the right ingredients if you pair him up with the right hens.

Tommorow is play with chainsaw day (briefly), I need oak rounds to use as a mushroom substrate in the new raised bed - then I'll start getting photos of what remains of the flock.

I'm already thinking about the next cull, but first we need to do something with the roughly 16# of chicken (excluding bones) currently chilling.

HAVE. Yes.

Ugly White doesn’t have barring, if he did it would be much more obvious due to the dominant nature of the gene.

Ugly White doesn’t have barring, if he did it would be much more obvious due to the dominant nature of the gene.
THANK YOU. I wish I could claim I was learning this whole chicken genetics thing, but feed science is SO SO SO much easier.

Thankfully, I don't want barred birds. Laced or pencilled please.

Man, I can't help but feel sorry for Pretty Boy. He was such a good roo. Did his job well. I wish he'd had a happier ending than freezer camp.

Man, I can't help but feel sorry for Pretty Boy. He was such a good roo. Did his job well. I wish he'd had a happier ending than freezer camp.
It was swift and respectful - and he won't actually make it to the freezer - as soon as he's aged, he's going in the grinder, we are going to try and make our own chicken cordon blue with ground seasoned chicken, ham, and gruyere, shaped into rounded patties then breaded for air frying.

360 days he got - roughly half of which as top roo. He has a number of offspring on my grounds.

Back
Top Bottom