Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Finally bit the bullet (and found something in stock that didn't require payment in gold pressed latinum!)

The new and pristine Freezer Camp!
1646494100886.png

7 cu ft. Not very big, but should be big enough for our needs.

Finally bit the bullet (and found something in stock that didn't require payment in gold pressed latinum!)

View attachment 3014556

That’s perfect sized. I will be cleaning out my refrigerator freezer and the little frig this weekend. The microwave died, going to take my microwavable foods to work for lunch. Hardly use the microwave except at work so not really looking to replace it anytime soon. Then the big freezer is next… hubby has bought lots of frozen foods and I have no clue what is in it… needs to be eaten up… if I start culling down the road I am going to want to invest in a freezer just for meat.

View attachment 3014556

I feel better with 2 small freezer camps. I have a alarm that monitors both, next to each other, and magnetically sticks to one.
If one dies I won't loose everything.
can put food in one when I defrost and clean the other.
I can put ice packs and water jugs to keep them full. Which helps keep temp in a power outage.

.....of course 2 use more energy.

I feel better with 2 small freezer camps. I have a alarm that monitors both, next to each other, and magnetically sticks to one.
If one dies I won't loose everything.
can put food in one when I defrost and clean the other.
I can put ice packs and water jugs to keep them full. Which helps keep temp in a power outage.

.....of course 2 use more energy.
Well, we also have the full sized fridge/freezer, AND the min fridge freezer in the RV we are living out of.

This one is going to be a place to put the goat (never again will I let a goat get this big - still under 200#, maybe under 150#) and the sausage from mass culls. Otherwise, taking 2 birds a week (and maybe a bunny too) and a young goat twice a year, we should be just fine in freezer space.

If I lose this, it will be a goat primal or two, maybe 4 old birds. annoying, but not devastating

Goat flavour and texture like sheep changes with age too. A lot of people who have told me they love lamb but hate goat, because it is tough and flavour, when I ask how old the goat was it was always a full grown or even really old goat… I then ask have they ever had mutton, they usually either don’t know the word “mutton” or think I mean lamb… I then explain old sheep taste and texture is different too, they need to try “kid” goat instead.

Despite me breeding towards dual purpose as my goal, currently I am Vegetarian, just done with nasty meat from stores and yucky eggs.

I sort of decided if I keep goats again in the future they will be small breeds like Kinder or N. Pygmy… maybe cross with a large breed for something in between size wise… most beautiful goat I ever had was a N. Pygmy x Cashmere, he was absolutely gorgeous, and not much larger than his N. Pygmy buddy, beautiful horns too. I kept those too neutered goats for weed control at the time, they did an awesome job. One was actually left tied up on my porch. I just can’t get away with pet goats here, chicken laws are written in away I can have a good sized flock as long as not a nuisance. So that means being responsible about keeping them in my yard, not loud (rooster collars as needed), and clean (including fly prevention)... all things that are easy enough to do.

I am thinking a second freezer would be good. I like keeping my meat, meat dishes in own freezer and fridge. I know I will probably need to cull a few birds as I have straight run and hatching eggs ordered… I only want a couple roosters… Peepers is for the bantam project. I just have to see what happens with the hatch and live chick order and go from there.

Goat flavour and texture like sheep changes with age too. A lot of people who have told me they love lamb but hate goat, because it is tough and flavour, when I ask how old the goat was it was always a full grown or even really old goat… I then ask have they ever had mutton, they usually either don’t know the word “mutton” or think I mean lamb… I then explain old sheep taste and texture is different too, they need to try “kid” goat instead.

Despite me breeding towards dual purpose as my goal, currently I am Vegetarian, just done with nasty meat from stores and yucky eggs.

I sort of decided if I keep goats again in the future they will be small breeds like Kinder or N. Pygmy… maybe cross with a large breed for something in between size wise… most beautiful goat I ever had was a N. Pygmy x Cashmere, he was absolutely gorgeous, and not much larger than his N. Pygmy buddy, beautiful horns too. I kept those too neutered goats for weed control at the time, they did an awesome job. One was actually left tied up on my porch. I just can’t get away with pet goats here, chicken laws are written in away I can have a good sized flock as long as not a nuisance. So that means being responsible about keeping them in my yard, not loud (rooster collars as needed), and clean (including fly prevention)... all things that are easy enough to do.

I am thinking a second freezer would be good. I like keeping my meat, meat dishes in own freezer and fridge. I know I will probably need to cull a few birds as I have straight run and hatching eggs ordered… I only want a couple roosters… Peepers is for the bantam project. I just have to see what happens with the hatch and live chick order and go from there.
We know we like baby goat "cabritas" - actually, my wife likes it more than I. I like the leftovers. Better the next day because I make a sour cream biscuit dough, over work it, then roll it flat.

Carmelize a bunch of onions, chopped fine. Now in the same pan, make a roux, and keep going till its light brick, like you were making gumbo or etouffee. Now add sliced mushrooms and cook till they are mostly softened - your roux will pick up the liquid and begin to form a silky sauce. Add chunks of the leftover goat, fresh cracked black pepper, and warm thru.

Cut large rounds in the biscuit dough, put a spoonfull of feta cheese on one side. A much bigger spoon of your onion mushroom goat gravy mix. Fold over and crimp to form pockets. Lay out on a greased sheet pan. Slit the top so steam can escape, egg or butter wash, and a sprinkle of galic salt.

Bake till done.

You can't make too many, they freeze amazingly well.

Back
Top Bottom