Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Ugly appears to be silver based, so if bred to red hens, you get more silvers girls, & silver, or silver/gold split males.

The girls could be either silver, or gold, since the girls can only carry one copy.

Silver is dominant over gold, so lots of silvers are to be expected.
I thought Ugly had one silver, one gold, based on the wing - one of the reasons I chose him over another Roo with no red/brown on the wing.

Ugly appears to be silver based, so if bred to red hens, you get more silvers girls, & silver, or silver/gold split males.

The girls could be either silver, or gold, since the girls can only carry one copy.

Silver is dominant over gold, so lots of silvers are to be expected.
I thought Ugly had one silver, one gold, based on the wing - one of the reasons I chose him over another Roo with no red/brown on the wing.
Ugly is silver/gold split, he will produce both silver and gold offspring (if paired with a gold hen).

Here's the EE/Brahma hen.
20220318_135806.jpg

Any 7# hen is noteworthy! TY for sharing. That's beyond my end goals for this project.
You're welcome.

She actually thinned out since the last time I checked her condition, there's a food hog in the coop(My sister's Silkie rooster), that I can't rehome(Nobody wants him), my sister doesn't want him to be butchered, despite his meatiness.

So, she's a couple pounds lighter then she should be thanks to that.

You want some hefty hens, hopefully you get there. Wishing you luck.

Unrelated, fat happy goat is NOT lean. LOTS of fat on this boy - which you really need to cut away. Some of it is so waxy it leaves an aftertaste like you ate a crayon. For hours.

I think I'll make soap with it.
I really like using tallow in soap - it really helps to make the bar last longer than if you just do vegetable-based fats. My mom and I soap together and she was very hesitant to try using it because she didn’t want it to smell like an animal. Once we rendered and clarified the fat, it didn’t smell like meat at all. I kept some of the fatty portions of last fall’s elk and rendered that for our next round of soaping. Not a ton, but will be a nice addition.

Attachments

• EA1D6A76-1250-4379-A812-DC8871D9A40D.jpeg
    EA1D6A76-1250-4379-A812-DC8871D9A40D.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom