Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Ok. What is that green tie you are using to hang them? I have a few cord loops I use but they Always slip free. Yours looks like a very secure hold
Its a plastic-y, very slightly stretchy, some variety of silicone loop that came in a multipack of bungie cords and tie downs, about 10 years ago. Every one of the bungies has now failed, but this green loop I've washed, scrubbed, bleached, left out in the rain for weeks at a time, and it shows little damage from the use.

Wrap twice around the feet, tuck between the legs, and hang. Only once have I had a decapitated bird escape it in its death throws. And that may have been my error in wrapping the feet.

I'd love a couple more of them. When I first bought the pack and found it inside, I was like, "what am I to do with this useless thing? It hardly stretches" but its turned out to be the most valuable (and certainly longest-lived) thing in the pack.

Its a plastic-y, very slightly stretchy, some variety of silicone loop that came in a multipack of bungie cords and tie downs, about 10 years ago. Every one of the bungies has now failed, but this green loop I've washed, scrubbed, bleached, left out in the rain for weeks at a time, and it shows little damage from the use.

Wrap twice around the feet, tuck between the legs, and hang. Only once have I had a decapitated bird escape it in its death throws. And that may have been my error in wrapping the feet.

I'd love a couple more of them. When I first bought the pack and found it inside, I was like, "what am I to do with this useless thing? It hardly stretches" but its turned out to be the most valuable (and certainly longest-lived) thing in the pack.
I thought it was nylon coated clothesline and was really scratching my head.

Took a third bird, visually larger, from the same hatch. Brahma genes. 2.2# again.

View attachment 3160880

Then the AC quit in the RV and the rest of my day was spent dealing with that. We had cooled down to just 100 degrees a little after 5pm...
I feel ya! It was brutal yesterday with the heat combined with the humidity!

Youngsters, w/o further comment -

Keeping the five remaining from hatch before last, keeping a close eye on last hatch. Starting to make selections (doesn't look good for the little black and white bird at upper left, mostly occluded by others)

1656259665624.png

Keeping the five remaining from hatch before last, keeping a close eye on last hatch. Starting to make selections (doesn't look good for the little black and white bird at upper left, mostly occluded by others)

View attachment 3163963

Bottom left looks almost like Multicam (I used to sew tactical gear).

Upper right seems to have some lacing going on.

View attachment 3163963

Interesting patterns you are getting. I really like the girl staring at the camera.

Honestly, I like MultiCam, as well. But if I keep changing my end goals, I w on't get anywhere

I can't quite see the comb. Is Multicam male or female?

With what little I've learned about genetics in anticipation of my Silver-Laced Australorp(ish) project, if that's a male and you paired him with barred or laced hens you might get some really good vanishing-into-the-background birds in two generations as long as you remember which chicks should have the recessives you want and not cull them out before you can breed them to each other to get the recessives to show.

Back
Top Bottom