Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Those buggers were helping themselves to bucket feeders each morning when I put them out. I'd run them and watch how they got out and repair. They found most weaknesses for me. My feed storage is inside the coop in cans separate from my birds. They would have to work to get there. They can be relentless. I wonder how many ugly words they called me. 🤣

Successfully weighed all 14 of my chickens tonight!
Still pretty impressed with the Bielefelder x RIR cockerels. 11.5 weeks old and they weigh 3.2 lbs, 3.4lbs, and 3.8 lbs. (51.2-60.8 ounces). The largest especially seems to be growing well. Pullet is 3lbs. Thoughts on their weights? I don't have numbers to compare to.
The Bielefelder x Barred rock cockerels are smaller - 3.2 and 3.4 lbs. Pullet is 2.8 lbs.

I weighed my year old Bielefelder rooster. He was lighter than I expected - 7.8 lbs. Looks can be deceiving. While he's super tame and friendly he does not like be picked up - only do it every few months.

No bites on selling the cockerels, so looks like I'm going to be butchering.

Looks like another weekend with no cullings. having to fix the electric fence, wife is sick, and the dog (who is in no pain) has lost use of one leg off and on (diabetic nueropathy, most likely), so I'm having to carry him in and out of the RV so he can do his business. and still have to repair the floor of the RV - water leak damage....

Yes, I'm sick too - but not as badly. Thankfully, not the 'Rona.

In any event, i could REALLY use a turn of luck about now.

Successfully weighed all 14 of my chickens tonight!
Still pretty impressed with the Bielefelder x RIR cockerels. 11.5 weeks old and they weigh 3.2 lbs, 3.4lbs, and 3.8 lbs. (51.2-60.8 ounces). The largest especially seems to be growing well. Pullet is 3lbs. Thoughts on their weights? I don't have numbers to compare to.
The Bielefelder x Barred rock cockerels are smaller - 3.2 and 3.4 lbs. Pullet is 2.8 lbs.

I weighed my year old Bielefelder rooster. He was lighter than I expected - 7.8 lbs. Looks can be deceiving. While he's super tame and friendly he does not like be picked up - only do it every few months.

No bites on selling the cockerels, so looks like I'm going to be butchering.
Heavier than mine at similar age. Well, I had a few heavier, but that beats at least 30 others, probably 40.

Looks like another weekend with no cullings. having to fix the electric fence, wife is sick, and the dog (who is in no pain) has lost use of one leg off and on (diabetic nueropathy, most likely), so I'm having to carry him in and out of the RV so he can do his business. and still have to repair the floor of the RV - water leak damage....

Yes, I'm sick too - but not as badly. Thankfully, not the 'Rona.

In any event, i could REALLY use a turn of luck about now.
Prayers you all are feeling better

Still projected nowhere near us - projections still unreliable. Doing storm prep we hopefully won't need. Cullings pushed to tommorow to put more thermal mass in the freezer.

1664024133559.png

Hope it steers well clear of you. Family feeling any better?
My wife has convinced herself she does have the 'Rona, but she's 90% - apart from some cotton in her thinking processes, her symptoms are no different than seasonal allergies (which come with some wool headedness themselves). Congestion, low energy, nasal "stuff" - everything but the itchy eyes. and she takes an allergy treatment daily, which also argues against it being mere allergies. But she tested negative, so...

I'm fine. Or as fine as I ever am, which is probably better than I have any right to be given my age and lifestyle. But I'm used to it, so no complaints, just observations.

Back
Top Bottom