Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Next hatch in 4 to 6 days. Going on lockdown tomorrow morning. Pictures then. Hopefully weights of the Last Hatch as soon as I look up when it was they actually hatched. They look small. Yes and too many males. Pictures this weekend, hope to cull a few
Sounds like I sexed them correctly.

Sounds like I sexed them correctly.
Sadly yes. Lots of thick legs. Few other indicators in my mutts at this age, but most of the birds I am most inclined to keep seem to have the thicker legs. Will do a more thorough inspection as I sort them out. Of course, the problem with almost all having thick legs is that they don't look thick next to one another.

Oh, and after all those hatching of small white birds? This hatch's undesired Dom White is larger than all the others of its siblings. Visually. Weights may offer a different perspective.

Sadly yes. Lots of thick legs. Few other indicators in my mutts at this age, but most of the birds I am most inclined to keep seem to have the thicker legs. Will do a more thorough inspection as I sort them out. Of course, the problem with almost all having thick legs is that they don't look thick next to one another.

Oh, and after all those hatching of small white birds? This hatch's undesired Dom White is larger than all the others of its siblings. Visually. Weights may offer a different perspective.
Hopefully your next hatch, will give more pullets.

You probably already thought of this, but:
when you cull the first one, butcher it out far enough to look for male gonads before you kill the second one.

That way, if you really have a bunch of fat-legged pullets, at least you don't kill ALL of them before you discover the error. And of course if one fat-legs bird is a less desireable color, that's a good one to do first.

You probably already thought of this, but:
when you cull the first one, butcher it out far enough to look for male gonads before you kill the second one.

That way, if you really have a bunch of fat-legged pullets, at least you don't kill ALL of them before you discover the error. And of course if one fat-legs bird is a less desireable color, that's a good one to do first.
The thought had crossed my mind Yes. Mostly because I'm so bad at sexing birds.

Back
Top Bottom