Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

I alternate, most recently, Fenbendazole (SafeGuard) and Levamasole (off label). Of the two, Fenben is far more effective in chickens, not as effective in goats. Leva is better in goats, less effective in chickens. Next time will be Ivermectin. When you have a bunch of animals, the only effective way to treat is in the water, and you don't want one critter serving as a parasite reservior for your other critters, so... If anyone shows signs, everyone gets treated.

and on that topic, I'll set a new batch this weekend.

I'll set 12 again, now that shell quality is returning to prior (very resilient) conditions.

I still have one (unidentified) hen who consistently lays a thin shelled egg - i break one almost every other day+ cleaning them, but it looks just like most of the others (I'm always surprised when it breaks in my hand!), hopefully she disappears in a culling....

I'll set 12 again, now that shell quality is returning to prior (very resilient) conditions.

I still have one (unidentified) hen who consistently lays a thin shelled egg - i break one almost every other day+ cleaning them, but it looks just like most of the others (I'm always surprised when it breaks in my hand!), hopefully she disappears in a culling....

I assume you don't want to hatch eggs from her.
Can you be reasonably sure her egg breaks by the time you are choosing which ones to set?

I assume you don't want to hatch eggs from her.
Can you be reasonably sure her egg breaks by the time you are choosing which ones to set?
Sadly, yes. Barely touch it with the scrubbie I use when cleaning eggs and I usually put the thumb of my other hand thru the egg. (don't ask, I've not figured out the biomechanics of what I'm doing).

I can guarantee I won't be hatching any of her offspring.

I had one that would lay eggs so thin, pieces would break off as the lining contracted ever so slightly when the egg cooled off from being laid.

She only laid Maybe a couple dozen last year, hoping this year is nothing. She's old now, like 8 or 9, but her eggs have never been normal enough even support life on the very few times I attempted to incubate when she was much younger

Back
Top Bottom