Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

I've wondered if the really hard shells are more difficutlt to pip and zip.
The chicks get some calcium out of the shell, at least according to a PBS show about eggs.
I know my turkey eggs hatch better with higher humidity to soften the shell. 80% instead of 70%

16814279929086003802805137757169.jpg

Signature updated with the new editions! (additions?) Why not both???

I've not been able to determine plumbing yet.

Last edited:
Sadly, this is the third pairing of the same billy and dam, so I need to cull hard, then freshen the gene pool. The first two were wethered, we have intact boy and girl from the second pairing, and these two. And the sire is the mom's son...

So the sire has to go. ...and likely the wethered two. Maybe the son from the second pairing... Then bring in a new buck?

Does that sound right?

Sadly, this is the third pairing of the same billy and dam, so I need to cull hard, then freshen the gene pool. The first two were wethered, we have intact boy and girl from the second pairing, and these two. And the sire is the mom's son...

So the sire has to go. ...and likely the wethered two. Maybe the son from the second pairing... Then bring in a new buck?

Does that sound right?
If there is a muslim population around you, the goats would likely sell really well this week. They have a featival 4/20-21 where they often serve goat (like how we have turkey at thanksgiving). And to make it their version of “kosher,” they either need a special butcher or they handle it themselves.

Anyway, the goat farmer near my friends is able to sell many of his that way.

I think he does a lot of word of mouth business, but you could try calling a local mosque or just posting on craigslist. 🤷‍♀️

You may be asked by any living in cities if they can butcher the animal on your property- so have a decision made about that if you decide to go this route.

Does that sound right?
The wethered ones are not affecting the gene pool, so it doesn't much matter whether they stay or go.

Other than that, I don't know much about goats, but what you propose sounds sensible for any species if you want to avoid inbreeding any further.

Back
Top Bottom