Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

35 days or so. Last hatch was about 10 days ago, this bird was the hatch before that , so add roughly three weeks.
Oh, thought it may be a bit older. Usually by 6 weeks or so you can make a better guess.

Edit Scratch the above.
So it is about 6 weeks? I lean to pullet then.

I've been in the kitchen all day blanching and freezing beans. Was sooo ready to sit down. I needed coffee! Thought about something stronger.

This weekend, promise. I REALLY need to cull.

The heat means I'm getting almost no eggs at present.

and we are at about 10 days left in the incubator befor first hatches. But its a staggered incubation, took three days to fill the incubator. and I've already discarded two eggs. So, 10 chances left.

also, was reading some literature - excess calcium has negative impact on fertility. So that's in the background here, though I don't think it accounts for all of this year's fertility problems, it might be a small factor.

and we are at about 10 days left in the incubator befor first hatches. But its a staggered incubation, took three days to fill the incubator. and I've already discarded two eggs. So, 10 chances left.

also, was reading some literature - excess calcium has negative impact on fertility. So that's in the background here, though I don't think it accounts for all of this year's fertility problems, it might be a small factor.
Calcium in hens? Roosters?
Or both?

Im guessing in due course once you have the colour on point you will be looking at choosing mainly from hens that lay well in both extreme heat and extreme cold?

Back
Top Bottom