Making of an Olive Egger

Fanci Feathers Marans

Chicken Tender
Jun 26, 2017
Missouri
So I've had some experience with Olive eggers, right? Right. However, its only been with Marans over Easter Egger hens. Since I love the cheekpuffs, and I'm down to one EE and one F3 Olive Egger, I thought I'd buy some more chicks come Spring.

So here's my question: what is the difference between EasterEggerxMarans vs AmeraucanaxMarans as far as egg color? Has anyone had any first-had experience? Pictures?

I can't help with that question but wanted to mention that Penedesencas contribute to some lovely olive eggs. I imagine that Welsummers would too.
Thanks for the response! The Olive eggers are just going to be a side project for my Marans. I don't intend to get Welsummers. I'm not familiar with Penedesencanas, but I know from experience that the cheekpuffs are very friendly and I like them for that.

@AMERAUCANAS4REAL tells me that AmeraucanaxMarans will give me a 1st gen Easter Eggers and might possibly result in some mixed breed brown eggers, which I don't want. However... I'd be taking that risk by buying EE chicks, too.

I'm still conflicted

EExMarans
(Fictional genotypes)
O=green
B= brown
Blue eggerxmarans
bbOOxBBoo= BbOo green
Olive egger(F1)xmarans
BbOoxBBoo= BBOo green, BBoo brown, BbOo green, and Bboo brown
Olive Egger(F2 or other)xMarans
BBOoxBBoo= BBOo green, BBoo brown
Olive Egger(breeds true)xMarans
BBOOxBBoo= BBOo green
EE (blue layerxwhite layer)x Marans
bbOoxBBoo= BbOo green, Bboo brown

Shades of green and brown are variable.

AmeraucanaxMarans
bbOOxBBoo= BbOo green

It's going to all depends on the specific genetics of the bird. An Ameraucana (pure) will lay blue eggs, so you're putting the brown on top of that. An EE *often* already has some brown parentage so you get some green in the egg. (Not always, like I said, depends on the bird itself.) So theoretically your EE x Maran will give a slightly darker egg than an Ameraucana x Maran. Keep in mind that when I say Ameraucana, I'm talking about the bred to SOP, not the "Americana" (EE) that's often sold...

Thanks for the response! The Olive eggers are just going to be a side project for my Marans. I don't intend to get Welsummers. I'm not familiar with Penedesencanas, but I know from experience that the cheekpuffs are very friendly and I like them for that.

@AMERAUCANAS4REAL tells me that AmeraucanaxMarans will give me a 1st gen Easter Eggers and might possibly result in some mixed breed brown eggers, which I don't want. However... I'd be taking that risk by buying EE chicks, too.

I'm still conflicted
? I'm confused.
I said AmxMarans gives you all F1 Olive Eggers.

AmxWelsummer
(No pix of eggs, but trust me, their olive colored.)
IMG_20181113_1601035_rewind.1.jpg

EExMarans
(Fictional genotypes)
O=green
B= brown
Blue eggerxmarans
bbOOxBBoo= BbOo green
Olive egger(F1)xmarans
BbOoxBBoo= BBOo green, BBoo brown, BbOo green, and Bboo brown
Olive Egger(F2 or other)xMarans
BBOoxBBoo= BBOo green, BBoo brown
Olive Egger(breeds true)xMarans
BBOOxBBoo= BBOo green
EE (blue layerxwhite layer)x Marans
bbOoxBBoo= BbOo green, Bboo brown

Shades of green and brown are variable.

AmeraucanaxMarans
bbOOxBBoo= BbOo green
You told me this before, and for the second time, I still don't understand.

Back
Top Bottom