Male duck always on females

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi everyone-my one male duck is always laying on the females-chasing/mating. Females looking haggard in their appearance. Don’t want them stressed out. Should I separate male from them for a while? if you have any input or if there are links you know of so I can read up about this please send my way. Have been unable to find. Thank you!

Hi everyone-my one male duck is always laying on the females-chasing/mating. Females looking haggard in their appearance. Don’t want them stressed out. Should I separate male from them for a while? if you have any input or if there are links you know of so I can read up about this please send my way. Have been unable to find. Thank you!
If he is constantly on them and they seem to be suffering, I would put him in drake jail for a little bit to give them a rest. Spring is coming through now so hormones are going to spike

How many hens do you have?

How many females do you have? Is this your only male? I would separate him for a bit. After I have collected eggs in the spring I usually separate my drakes to give the girls a break. Sometimes their spring hormones are just too much.

How many females do you have? Is this your only male? I would separate him for a bit. After I have collected eggs in the spring I usually separate my drakes to give the girls a break. Sometimes their spring hormones are just too much.
My flock is rather small-I have 5 female ducks/1 female goose/and 1 lone male duck. It just so happened he was only male when got them as babies. And unfortunately they have been this way for months and not just recently. I try to pay attention to my girls to make sure they are ok but it’s kind of annoying me if not them lol. I’ve been gathering eggs every day since they have matured to.

So typical this time of year. You could give him time out which may go all the way through summer or maybe sometime each day with the girls with supervision? Then have them live side by side so they can all still see each other. Your ratio looks good. And what you are seeing is so typical of young drakes. Large dog crates work great for inside the coop to give your drake time out overnight and your girls peace.

If he is constantly on them and they seem to be suffering, I would put him in drake jail for a little bit to give them a rest. Spring is coming through now so hormones are going to spike

How many hens do you have?
I have 5 female ducks,1 female goose, and 1male duck from what I can tell.
How would I go about this separation? I’m fairly new to all this and am still learning.

So typical this time of year. You could give him time out which may go all the way through summer or maybe sometime each day with the girls with supervision? Then have them live side by side so they can all still see each other. Your ratio looks good. And what you are seeing is so typical of young drakes. Large dog crates work great for inside the coop to give your drake time out overnight and your girls peace.
Ok so separate and give breather just at night and while in coop? Your advice looks doable for me.

If you can split your run [if you have one] with the drake on one side and females on the other that would work then use the dog crate at night to keep him contained. My Runner has 9 females and they chase him all over asking for some loving it's quite funny.

If you can split your run [if you have one] with the drake on one side and females on the other that would work then use the dog crate at night to keep him contained. My Runner has 9 females and they chase him all over asking for some loving it's quite funny.
That is funny that’s it’s reversed for your runner! I do have a run but leave gate open while I’m home so they can free range. I might can get hubby to help me section off a small area with fence for my drake. Gosh my drake is going to have a hissy fit lol. Thank you all for your responses and help. This sure helps.

Back
Top Bottom