Male ducks fighting, help.

Magicalducklingmom

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
I have 2 pens side by side. 1 has a female pekin, a old female runner and a male call duck. They are fine, the male doesn't try to mate them because one he's never tried to and the others too big for him lol 🤣
The other pen has 2 male pekins. They have just turned 1 last month, same age as the female pekin as I got them same time.
The 2 male pekins are fighting a bit even though there's a fence separating them from the female.
Am I better splitting their pen and separating the boys for a while? They don't really like being seperate, they whine about it.
Or will it work if I put up something where they can't see the girl?
They were loose in the garden earlier and they could hear her but not see her and weren't fighting.
* please do not suggest rehoming or killing anyone as neither Is an option. I'd just like some help on deciding what's best to do. Thankyou.

I'd split where you are keeping the 2 drakes together so each has their own side and they can still see each other but can't fight. It's easy to do with some type of fencing and those plastic fence posts that have the sharp point that sticks into the ground, This is very normal behavior this time of year.

I'd split where you are keeping the 2 drakes together so each has their own side and they can still see each other but can't fight. It's easy to do with some type of fencing and those plastic fence posts that have the sharp point that sticks into the ground, This is very normal behavior this time of year.
Thankyou. I don't have another bed, do you think they would be ok together at night? They are only fighting in the day I think.

What I do with unruly females once hormones get whacky is I have a dog crate inside my coops and when one just won't leave everyone alone she gets to spend the night in the crate. My goose actually slept in one last night because she is hormonal and wouldn't leave everyone alone. You could try leaving them loose inside but they still might fight. They don't sleep soundly like a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom