male ducks organ outside body and frozen

alaskanhenhouse

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
Wasilla Alaska
hit.gif

when i entered the pen today there was several patches of blood. like he was resting on the snow/ice and it froze there. then he got up, ripped it and sat in another spot.

he's in a warm water bath but it's not retracting. Is there anything more i can do for him? What are your thoughts on his recovery?

some people have needed to put something like vaseline on it and gently help put it back in. He might also need an antibiotic or something. You should call the vet and ask what you need to do.

he's out of the bath and i coated it with mineral oil but it still wont budge. It's quite swollen now. from thawing i guess. i'm going to get some preparation H this evening but i worry about it going black and falling off.

My advice is call a vet. You might need to take him in. I don't think it will fall off! LOL. The only way that would happen is if it was frostbittenall the way through. Is there any black on it?

Last edited:
Frostbite can take several days to develop. You need to keep him in a warm area until their is no chance of refreezing the affected area.
If it was just hanging out to begin with he may be over breeding.

Back
Top Bottom