mama hens adopting

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
Well, we had two black orp hens sitting on eggs..one hen had several eggs under her and the other hen had several. First hen hatched 5 but the last one was weak and she abandoned it on the nest and took her little brood of 4 to the other side of the brooder box. I grabbed the lone chick and put it in with hen #2 and she took care of it immediately. Then she hatched one chick and took the chicks to the other side of the room abandoning a clutch of eggs. So I grabbed the eggs and put them in my 'bator. Hatched two chicks and as soon as they were dry and active put them under Hen #2. She is a wonderful mama. In the meantime, every morning when I go into the coop to feed and water and observe....mama hens seem to be trading off chicks or they are having "stay overs" as each mama has a different count of chicks each morning
lau.gif

Now one of the chicks, while hatching, seemed to be having trouble so I "helped" get it out of the egg. Mistake of course, lots of bleeding and still attached to the yolk which hadn't been absorbed yet. So I left it in 'bator. At first, it couldn't even lift it's head but I left it alone. After 2 1/2 days it was up on it's feet and cheeping loudly, that is when I took it to a mama hen.
Moral.........leave eggs alone....we have been told so many times on BYC but some of us
hide.gif
just can't keep our hands off. Anyway all 8 chicks seem to be doing well under mamas.
fl.gif

I have NEVER had a clutch of eggs make it to day 2 in the 'bator 'cause it got to hot OR it got to cold...Anyways I REALLY wish I could hatch some eggs/chicks I only have 14 chicks and I had bought 22 from the feed store...8 died and I didn't even get to BURY them!!!!
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom