Marans Show Tips?

Fanci Feathers Marans

Chicken Tender
Jun 26, 2017
Missouri
I'm a new egg here at BYC and just wanted to learn a little more about showing my Marans, breed genetics, and other helpful tips. Also, I have a few questions. Should I use horse show-sheen on my Marans? I've heard some breeders talk about wanting a dull luster. In my experience, the spray makes the bird look damp- maybe I was using too much?
Photos for fun.
received_10207320802896873.jpeg
received_10206899442043115.jpeg
received_10206899448083266.jpeg

You can rub a piece of raw silk over the bird to give its feathers a top shine. another thing you can do is go to the Chris Christensen website .they make shampoos for dogs .excellent products .
take a look at their color shampoos. they will clean the birds and enhance the colors
at the bottom of the website is a table on how to mix the colored shampoos for intermediate colors like you would find on a red mahogany or a gold mahogany bird.
for instance ,for my Light Sussex I would use their White On White shampoo. it would bring out all the sparkling silver in my birds.
Best ,
Karen

Last edited:
See the thead above , "What do you use to get your white chickens ready for shows" , posts 4 & 5.
Best,
Karen

You can rub a piece of raw silk over the bird to give its feathers a top shine. another thing you can do is go to the Chris Christensen website .they make shampoos for dogs .excellent products .
take a look at their color shampoos. they will clean the birds and enhance the colors
at the bottom of the website is a table on how to mix the colored shampoos for intermediate colors like you would find on a red mahogany or a gold mahogany bird.
for instance ,for my Light Sussex I would use their White On White shampoo. it would bring out all the sparkling silver in my birds.
Best ,
Karen
Best ,
Karen
Thanks! I'll have to take a look. Is there anyone out there who knows anything about upcoming Missouri shows? I have already checked poultry show central....

Anyone still watching? I know this is an old thread, but I needed some more info.

I want to start experimenting with human hair products. Is there anything I should absolutely NOT use? The show is a week away, so I will wash most of it off.

Any tips on washing or grooming will be helpful.

I would check out www.poultryshowcentral.com because it seems to have good information on getting ready for a show...as for experimenting with human products, I would do research on each individual product to make sure they are safe for chickens or only use natural ones, you want to be very careful not to harm your birds. There are also products for shows available at most feed stores that are made for chickens. I do know people who use human hair products on their chickens for shows so I'm sure you could I would just be careful and do some research. Good luck you have very beautiful birds!

I would check out www.poultryshowcentral.com because it seems to have good information on getting ready for a show...as for experimenting with human products, I would do research on each individual product to make sure they are safe for chickens or only use natural ones, you want to be very careful not to harm your birds. There are also products for shows available at most feed stores that are made for chickens. I do know people who use human hair products on their chickens for shows so I'm sure you could I would just be careful and do some research. Good luck you have very beautiful birds!

Thank you! I have been all over poultry show central. I actually found a horse shampoo and conditioner that people use: Mane n' Tail.

Have you ever heard of using Buttermilk the day of the show?

Back
Top Bottom