Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I agree that someone selling eggs or birds should make sure the buyer is aware. I mean, really, we have to be able to trust each other. I have not sold eggs here in almost 2 years because the last two timesIi bought eggs,from people who had "good lines", I brought single barring(cuckoos) in my roosters and side spurs as well as feathers on the middle toe. Needless to say, I could not keep many as breeders and really wishIi had culled all that hatched, because now I am working to get the single barred out of my flock. I had to keep a few of the roosters because my rooster got sick, and they did have better tails, but this is the first year I hatched roosters that I can keep. I figure it will be at least another couple of generations until I can offer quality eggs. Thankfully, the feathers on middle toes and side spurs on combs was not too difficult to breed out. Oh, and the eggs weren't cheap. I have been hesitant to buy anymore eggs. I really would like to see the flock first.

Hi all.

Cottage Hill Farm is still very much alive and well. So am I, despite the rumors of my demise.

Ron Presley
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome Ron!
What a pleasant surprise to have you join us!

I chatted via e-mail with my good friend, Buddy Henry, this morning - in regard to Cottage Hill line of Marans, and the post previously entered here, he stated:

This is a true statement except for the fact that we found one CH Black Copper Marans hen left from the original flock that is 5 years old. We just hatched some chicks off her from a CH Black Copper Marans Rooster that we obtained from Stacy Murphy of Sweet Pea Farm in CT. I still have the original flock of CH Wheaten Marans.

So, for those of us interested in the Cottage Hill line, it's being recovered & rebuilt! Most excellent news!

I agree that someone selling eggs or birds should make sure the buyer is aware. I mean, really, we have to be able to trust each other. I have not sold eggs here in almost 2 years because the last two timesIi bought eggs,from people who had "good lines", I brought single barring(cuckoos) in my roosters and side spurs as well as feathers on the middle toe. Needless to say, I could not keep many as breeders and really wishIi had culled all that hatched, because now I am working to get the single barred out of my flock. I had to keep a few of the roosters because my rooster got sick, and they did have better tails, but this is the first year I hatched roosters that I can keep. I figure it will be at least another couple of generations until I can offer quality eggs. Thankfully, the feathers on middle toes and side spurs on combs was not too difficult to breed out. Oh, and the eggs weren't cheap. I have been hesitant to buy anymore eggs. I really would like to see the flock first.
I wouldnt see a problem with you selling eggs listed as a barnyard breed, and your honest with folks. I have found the majority of people that inquired about my birds are not looking for show quality and don't know anything about sop. I fill them in about it though. I bet your birds are still better that a hatchery. Raising top quality birds is expensive. you have to recoop your money some how. i think i spent about 400.00 on birds and eggs this year just to get the birds I have.

I chatted via e-mail with my good friend, Buddy Henry, this morning - in regard to Cottage Hill line of Marans, and the post previously entered here, he stated:

This is a true statement except for the fact that we found one CH Black Copper Marans hen left from the original flock that is 5 years old. We just hatched some chicks off her from a CH Black Copper Marans Rooster that we obtained from Stacy Murphy of Sweet Pea Farm in CT. I still have the original flock of CH Wheaten Marans.

So, for those of us interested in the Cottage Hill line, it's being recovered & rebuilt! Most excellent news!

I agree this is great news - I have been giving this line a close attention. But there are other breeders that also have CH birds also... not tooting anyones horn, but they are out there if you look hard and ask questions. I believe Pam Mynard has another oldest strain.

Mr. Henry has told me that they will have wheatens available next year too. I havent joined HPBAA yet.

I am finaly at a place where I think I have good enough stock to work from that I am comfortable asking for imput on this generation. I thought I would share my few Birchens from this year to see what your thoughts are in what I should look for and additional points you may see that I am missing from staring at them 3 hours a day :)

Boy #1
Needs to grow his tail feathers back because boy #3 & #4 liked to pick. They (3 &4) have gone on to the rooster free range farm.

#1 again - he has nice slate legs, nice silver, straight comb no springs
Large beefy size

This is #2 I am so undecided about him.
The darker pigment to the hackles bothers me. He is not as clean as #1, comb has - maybe a thumb print. His legs and leg feather are lighter than #1
I can not decide what the coloration is in the hackles. It is not thetrue gold leakage I had in earlier birds.
Thoughts?

#2 - See the back is not as creamy colored as it looks in the picture above.

But you can see not the bright silver of #1

Both for comparison.
#1 on the left

#2 on th right

This is the beafy Silver Birchen girl. With #1
Thoughts

Beafy girl again with #1 in th back

Sorry for the story book. It has taken me a while to choose them and then to get up the courage to put them up here.

Yes, please be honest. Thanks

I am finaly at a place where I think I have good enough stock to work from that I am comfortable asking for imput on this generation. I thought I would share my few Birchens from this year to see what your thoughts are in what I should look for and additional points you may see that I am missing from staring at them 3 hours a day :)

Boy #1
Needs to grow his tail feathers back because boy #3 & #4 liked to pick. They (3 &4) have gone on to the rooster free range farm.

Large beefy size

The darker pigment to the hackles bothers me. He is not as clean as #1, comb has - maybe a thumb print. His legs and leg feather are lighter than #1
I can not decide what the coloration is in the hackles. It is not thetrue gold leakage I had in earlier birds.
Thoughts?

Both for comparison.
#1 on the left

#2 on th right

Thoughts

Sorry for the story book. It has taken me a while to choose them and then to get up the courage to put them up here.

First off I have to say they are gorgeous birds. I love Birchens but cant afford to take them on. One of these days maybe. You might want to try and get a little closer shots. Hard to see. I would have to say #1 looks really nice. Again not knowing much about Birchens I think #2 has a bit color issues going on. Isint the hackle and saddle feathers suppose to be the same color? Like #1?
Also it may be the picture but #1 looks like he has a real short back. Look for a long female for him. Other than that with my limited Birchen experience they look nice. Ask Vicki, I think she has some. Might be wrong. Thanks for sharing.

Also, don't be afraid to post pics. We can only see so much. What it boils down to is what you like and what your after. If you want an opinion it sounds like you want to try and do the best you can. Its hard. And I know what it feels like to have your birds picked apart. Some people are more eloquent at giving advice than others. Hang in there Aceschix.

Boy #1

Large beefy size

Thoughts?

Both for comparison.
#1 on the left

#2 on th right

Thoughts

droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom