Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is one of IsaBell's sisters. She doesn't have as much copper on the front of her neck as IsaBell but they are still relatively young. Who knows ??
11170_imgp6001.jpg

Quote:
Kathy~
I have watched this gal lay as well and yes it is nice and dark when layed until it dries.

If its just the bloom....shouldn't it wash off and then the egg remain the nice darker color that it is when "wet"?
Try as I may, I cannot remove any color from those eggs. I have been scrubbing on 2 of them for 3 days to try and remove that chalky stuff as we call it and nothing, nothing comes off and the egg dries right back to chalky. I can however with a little elbow grease remove the color from a BCM egg.
IDK why I keep bringing this up.....just find it interesting I guess.
idunno.gif
tongue.png

Funny, isn't it! I had a sex-link hen that layed with a pinkish cast like that. I saw her lay the egg, and I picked it up wet. I watched it as it dried to a pinkish color. Actually, it looked like ittsy bittsy teeny tiny dots of white mixed in, as well. I thought it was odd, but I didn't wash it off. Hmmm, I dunno. I assume that was the bloom I witnessed.

I need some advice please: I had one golden cuckoo marans hatch out about 4 days ago. He is not as dark as the other golden cuckoos I have seen (males or females). Are some of them just a lot lighter in color? I got these eggs from a reputable source from someone that does have a lot of golden cuckoos so I do think it is a golden cuckoo, it just looks wierd. I think the egg was probably a 4 on color chart, looked to be definitely a marans eggs.

Here are some pics of him
He is the stripey one at the top of the pic next to a wheaten. He did not come from a wheaten egg which I was hatching at the same time because they were clearly labeled and I watched him hatch lol.
45258_gcm_back.jpg

Front (he has a little brown dot on his head)
45258_gcm_front.jpg

From the side
45258_gcm1.jpg

Okay since I am new to Black Coppers and I am studying as much as I can. I have been searching the internet and admiring pictures of some beautiful flocks. I came across a picture of a 5 week old BC roo on another website. The person posted that they can not wait to add him to their BC breeding program. I am posting the pic for you all to see. From the research I have done I think this fellow would end up in freezer camp if he were mine and not in a breeding program. What do you all think? Am I correct in thinking this? I am only asking to help advance my knowledge for my own breeding purposes.

BCMroo65weeks5-18-20098-07-34AM.jpg

Quote:
yup...not a black copper marans
hmm.png

That's what I thought and it really saddens me that this person is going to use him for breeding. When I put my mind to doing something I do it to the best of my ability. True Marans breeders, meaning those that are working hard to perfect the standard, have a hard enough road ahead of them. Then you have people out there just breeding willy nilly without any regard to standard making it harder. I guess all I can do is work hard at my own flock and be very picky as to what blood lines I add!

Quote:
yup...not a black copper marans
hmm.png

That's what I thought and it really saddens me that this person is going to use him for breeding. When I put my mind to doing something I do it to the best of my ability. True Marans breeders, meaning those that are working hard to perfect the standard, have a hard enough road ahead of them. Then you have people out there just breeding willy nilly without any regard to standard making it harder. I guess all I can do is work hard at my own flock and be very picky as to what blood lines I add!

That is ALL you can do, because there will always be the ones that don't care to take the time to learn. All you can do is help to pave the way, the best you can.

The legacy of your birds and feedback of others will speak for themselves
smile.png

looks like a hamburg cross with those spots... hmmm... Some naughty parents sneeking a booty call I suspect!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom