March 2024 “Asking For a Friend” Hatch-A-Long 🤫🐣

Pics

Tumbleweedlynn

Crowing
Sep 5, 2022
Central New Mexico
Hi All :frow

It has sure been awhile since I’ve been here, I hope everyone is doing fantastic!

For those who aren’t familiar with my hatch-a-longs, they have been reliably dismal, so I’ve just let my hens do the work for the last year +/-. That being said…

I’m asking for a friend - if she had two incubators full of eggs, what number would root for? Here are “her” eggs, for reference😉 I think “she” may have mentioned the first eight in each bator are cemani, and the rest are mixed to include RIR, CCL, Blue Plymouth, olive and easter eggers.

Have a great week 🐓

Attachments

• IMG_6755.jpeg
    IMG_6755.jpeg
    741.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6758.jpeg
    IMG_6758.jpeg
    904.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Happy Friday! No grandbaby yet, so I had time to candle this evening. I had to pull a total of 9 😞 My husband is cursing these incubators, he’s convinced they are both defective. We’re going to put some Cemani eggs in someone else’s incubator and see how that goes. The hens seem to get it done🤷‍♀️

Eggs pulled from bator 1:
#1 @fluffycrow
#6 @HorseGirlAbby
#7 @Wyorp Rock
#13 @CloneFly
#19 (open)
#20 (open)

Still open:
#s 14-15

Eggs pulled from bator 2:
#1 @fluffycrow
#11 (open)
#15 (open)

Still open:
#s 18-19
#s 21-22

I had throw a couple extra in, just in case. I couldn’t see clearly in the colored, dark brown eggs, so we’ll see 🤷‍♀️

@junior67 @Aardyn @Debbie292d
@thewelshchicken @GreenJay @Devyn Nagy

IMG_1404.jpeg
IMG_6947.jpeg

Grandbaby (Olivia) was born on Sunday morning, and shares a birthday with my husband❤️

And the hatch has begun! The first one to hatch earlier this afternoon was Incubator 2, egg #19. She is an orphan, because she had no adopter 😕

The second to hatch was Incubator 1, egg # 14, who also is an orphan😕

Third to hatch was Incubator 1, egg #17! (@GreenJay ) Congrats 🎉

Fourth to hatch was Incubator 1, egg #12! (@Debbie292d ) Congrats 🎉

The eggs I could see with pips in Incubator 1 were #’s 8 (@junior67 ), 9 (@Aardyn ), 11 (@Mantisquailman ). In incubator 2, #9 (@Aardyn ). That doesn’t mean the others haven’t started yet, I just can’t see from the angle they are laying, plus they have gotten jostled around.

I will talk to you again in the morning 😊

@fluffycrow @HorseGirlAbby @Wyorp Rock @CloneFly @thewelshchicken @Devyn Nagy

Hi all :frow

Hope everyone is having a great week!

I just wanted to let you know I haven’t forgotten about you - I do not like candling, so I usually drag it out to day 10.

In other news, I just found out there is a backyard herd group just like this one that I will definitely be visiting on behalf of my new additions. Community is so awesome :celebrate

@HorseGirlAbby @Wyorp Rock @junior67 @Aardyn @Debbie292d @CloneFly @GreenJay @Devyn Nagy

WOOHOO!

Sooo…

I’ve completed the assignment, and candled 24 eggs, and here’s where we’re at:

Bator One casualties
#5. I did not think to write down the iffys until Bator Two :idunno

Bator Two casualties
#’s 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 17. Numbers 3 & 15 are really sketchy.

I gave grace to all the cemani eggs, unless it was undeniably obvious. I have a couple new layers whose eggs are still kinda small.

Some eggs were just too dark to see, and several eggs in bator two were taken out of my collected eggs basket that had been sitting there for several days and hadn’t been turned, so I’m seeing the air sack on the side (but also saw movement).

We’ll do this again in probably five days - you all have a great weekend 🐣

@HorseGirlAbby @Wyorp Rock @junior67 @Aardyn @Debbie292d @CloneFly @GreenJay @Devyn Nagy @fluffycrow
go baby #8 and #20!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like it is going pretty good right now for you!

Sooo…

I’ve completed the assignment, and candled 24 eggs, and here’s where we’re at:

Bator One casualties
#5. I did not think to write down the iffys until Bator Two :idunno

Bator Two casualties
#’s 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 17. Numbers 3 & 15 are really sketchy.

I gave grace to all the cemani eggs, unless it was undeniably obvious. I have a couple new layers whose eggs are still kinda small.

Some eggs were just too dark to see, and several eggs in bator two were taken out of my collected eggs basket that had been sitting there for several days and hadn’t been turned, so I’m seeing the air sack on the side (but also saw movement).

We’ll do this again in probably five days - you all have a great weekend 🐣

@HorseGirlAbby @Wyorp Rock @junior67 @Aardyn @Debbie292d @CloneFly @GreenJay @Devyn Nagy @fluffycrow
Go eggies! That's most of the cemanis out in bator 2, isn't it. :hmm Still rooting for #2 in bator 1 and number 14 in bator 2!

Back
Top Bottom