Marek's Again, tomato leaf poisoning or Infectious Bronchitis????

Leihamarie

Songster
Jul 28, 2016
San Diego
Hi All,

Black Copper Marans Pullet
-14 weeks old
-3lbs
Symptoms: intermittent head shaking with droplets of moisture expelled when she does. Stumbling around, slightly uncoordinated gait.
-History of Marek's on property (probable active Marek's still in soil)
-Pullet is double vaccinated for Marek's Disease using HVT vaccine both times.
-Active bacterial sinus infection in one adult flock member currently.
-Eating and drinking regularly
-Has eaten a lot of tomato leaves and green tomatoes over the last few weeks.
-Stool is smelly but looks normal.
-Current dry pox outbreak amongst adult birds.

I have a 14-week old BCM Pullet who I've just noticed is stumbling around like she's a little drunk. Not limping so much as crossing her steps while walking a little sideways and as much as a chicken can be a little knock-kneed for lack of a better term. She also lays down a lot more than usual.

She is one of 4 in the brood and none of the other ones are showing similar symptoms. I immediately think Marek's of course since I've been through that before but she is DOUBLE vaccinated (at the hatchery and then again by me on day 14 for superior immunity) and was kept in strict quarantine with the other babies until 8 weeks old.

The pullets free-range with my hens and they are having an outbreak of dry pox but so far none of the pullets have been affected. One of my hens went to the vet today with a swollen eye and bubbles in the corner of it. The vet determined it was a secondary sinus infection due to the pox. She put her on Amoxicillin and an eye ointment.

Amongst my pullets, there has been a lot of sneezing with intermittent moisture droplets lately, but no other symptoms.

Another possibility may be that the pullets (especially the BCM) have also decided they absolutely LOVE tomato leaves and green tomatoes... no matter how often I shoo them away.

I've started Amoxicillin and am treating as if it were a sinus infection since there's no treatment for Marek's or Pox, but does anyone have experience in this? Could it be poisoning from the tomato leaves?

Please help me determine what is going on!

Not sure what's up with her...you've got so much going on at the property.

I've recently read several BYC chicken owners state their birds eat the tomato leaves greedily and never have issues....so I doubt that is it.

Since she's been double vaccinated (and yes, the vaccine can fail, just as the flu vaccine can fail to cover a different strain), I'm not leaping to Marek's (though keep that in mind).

My guess is possibly inner ear infection/sinus from the pox?

Check her mouth to see if there are any sores inside. Dry pox and wet pox often occur at the same time. I think it is just where the virus hits as to the difference.

Hopefully others will have ideas too.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom