Mating practices (I have to ask!)

Nebraskagirl

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
We have three ducks: two nine week old Welsh Harlequins; male and female. I also have their mother, a year old Welsh Harlequin. When the male gets old enough, I am sure he will want to mate with his mother and sister. I will not be hatching out any more eggs (we are comfortable with three) BUT would that even be a good idea to mate a son with a mother or sister? I am guessing no as the bloodlines are too closely related. Any thoughts?

We have three ducks: two nine week old Welsh Harlequins; male and female. I also have their mother, a year old Welsh Harlequin. When the male gets old enough, I am sure he will want to mate with his mother and sister. I will not be hatching out any more eggs (we are comfortable with three) BUT would that even be a good idea to mate a son with a mother or sister? I am guessing no as the bloodlines are too closely related. Any thoughts?
From what I have read on here breeding mother son or father daughter is okay but not sibs to each other. but if your not going to hatch ducklings then it won't matter. I'm pretty sure that's the way it goes.

Last edited:
Thank you Miss Lydia. It just seems so "taboo" even if I am not hatching babies. They are not of mating age yet, but I am sure that day will be arrive. Ugh.

People taboos just don't bother animals. And most certainly, not poultry! Especially ducks.... Drakes are real horn-dogs and the girls just <I>have</I> to bob their heads at 'em, the little hussies.

People taboos just don't bother animals. And most certainly, not poultry! Especially ducks.... Drakes are real horn-dogs and the girls just have to bob their heads at 'em, the little hussies.

lau.gif
Oh I know. I grew up and still live on a farm, but for some reason THIS particular case bothers me :) Yep, the girls always start it. It is all quiet and peaceful in the pond; until someone bobs their head.

Last edited:
People taboos just don't bother animals. And most certainly, not poultry! Especially ducks.... Drakes are real horn-dogs and the girls just have to bob their heads at 'em, the little hussies.

Yep, i have heard for a few years it's okay even siblings but after awhile good to bring new blood in, frankly with so many ducks i can never 100% guarantee who is related, as they can sneak in and lay in another's nest and you'd never know.

On this topic, if you go and purchase 2 ducklings from the feed store at the same time from the same bin, seems to me that chances of those 2 ducklings being related (=siblings/ hatchmates) are pretty high. I've had a pair of Khaki Campbells like this, I don't think they've ever bred together. Same thing as the pair of Pekins I had, too. Just an observation. But I did have a mixed drake breed with the duck that hatched it. Personally I would think that the more genetic diversity in a duck would be better than less genetic diversity... But I'm not a scientist, so hopefully one will weigh in soon.

I was superparanoid that the single egg we hatched after our female Pekin died would be a girl as I knew our remaining drake would attempt to mate with her... fortunately it was a boy so father and son coexist in a fairly peaceful manner. I understand that this sort of thing is totally acceptable in most animals -- and even necessary for line breeding -- but I didn't want any incest under my roof, especially in my bathtub ;)

I was superparanoid that the single egg we hatched after our female Pekin died would be a girl as I knew our remaining drake would attempt to mate with her... fortunately it was a boy so father and son coexist in a fairly peaceful manner. I understand that this sort of thing is totally acceptable in most animals -- and even necessary for line breeding -- but I didn't want any incest under my roof, especially in my bathtub
wink.png
We understand completely
tongue.png

I was superparanoid that the single egg we hatched after our female Pekin died would be a girl as I knew our remaining drake would attempt to mate with her... fortunately it was a boy so father and son coexist in a fairly peaceful manner. I understand that this sort of thing is totally acceptable in most animals -- and even necessary for line breeding -- but I didn't want any incest under my roof, especially in my bathtub
wink.png

Oh My Gosh I just laughed out loud so HARD! FUNNY! And yes I totally agree. I just got icky feeling when I started the thread. But I wanted input and others' experiences. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom