Mating questions (kinda embarassing but necessary to ask)

Nebraskagirl

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
I have a one year old Welsh Harlequin duck, and her two offspring, a drake and duck, both whom were hatched this April in an incubator. (Their father is no longer at our farm. He was too aggressive so he was returned to the farm where he was originally purchased.) The female offspring has recently been acting like she wants to mate. In the pool she flattens herself out and stretches her neck and she also bobs her head. The male offspring does bob his head a bit, but has not yet mounted either his sister or his mother that I am aware of. (Note: I am not going to hatch ANY eggs as I do not want inbreeding practices this close.) I have also noticed the mother duck mounting the female offspring. Is this a dominance issue?
Questions:
1. Does this mean the female offspring will soon be laying eggs?
2. Does it take the male offspring longer to mature?

I have a one year old Welsh Harlequin duck, and her two offspring, a drake and duck, both whom were hatched this April in an incubator. (Their father is no longer at our farm. He was too aggressive so he was returned to the farm where he was originally purchased.) The female offspring has recently been acting like she wants to mate. In the pool she flattens herself out and stretches her neck and she also bobs her head. The male offspring does bob his head a bit, but has not yet mounted either his sister or his mother that I am aware of. (Note: I am not going to hatch ANY eggs as I do not want inbreeding practices this close.) I have also noticed the mother duck mounting the female offspring. Is this a dominance issue?
Questions:
1. Does this mean the female offspring will soon be laying eggs?
2. Does it take the male offspring longer to mature?
The drake is too young yet. and the mama[ducks will mount each other] acting normal. I don't think you'll see eggs till your duck is around 5-6 months old. if hatched in April then they are 4 months old or close to it?

Yes they are about 4 months old. They were hatched on April 20-21 respectively. Thank you for the advice. These are first ducklings I have raised from eggs so the process is all new to me. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom