What colors make a mauve silkie? And what should you breed back to it?

Classically it is a chocolate rooster over a blue hen.
This cross should give you:
25% mauve (khaki) pullets
25% chocolate pullets
25% blue cockerels
25% black cockerels.
The boys will be split (carry) to chocolate. It is sex-linked, too!😊

Oh, wow! Very nice. Thanks so much!

And, what about a blue rooster and a chocolate hen?
Looks like it only works with the chocolate rooster because it is sex linked and the blue hen. You can use a splash hen as well. In this case you will get blue boys and mauve girls.

If you use a chocolate hen and a blue rooster, you will just get black and blue offspring and they will not be sex linked. The boys, though, will be split to chocolate, but no way of knowing which ones unless you breed them back to chocolate. All this is of course assuming the birds used do not have any recessive genetics for other colors (like recessive white or carry partridge which many Silkies do.)😊

Last edited:
Oh, duh. 🤦‍♀️ I have a blue rooster right now and I wondered if I could just get a chocolate hen, but I guess not!

Oh yeah, that's just another thing to worry about. LOL. All the colors are just so cute, and I want them all! But can't find a way to work them into my current flock.

One more question, can you get chocolate paint from a paint hen and a chocolate roo?

Oh, duh. 🤦‍♀️ I have a blue rooster right now and I wondered if I could just get a chocolate hen, but I guess not!

Oh yeah, that's just another thing to worry about. LOL. All the colors are just so cute, and I want them all! But can't find a way to work them into my current flock.

One more question, can you get chocolate paint from a paint hen and a chocolate roo?
I believe so! Chicks should come out black paint, chocolate paint, black and chocolate if I am not mistaken. (I could be....🤣). The chocolates and chocolate paint hatched should be pullets as well.😊

Back
Top Bottom