MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Ugh, my last baby (that I accidentally started to eggtopsy 2 days ago,) was doing so well and looking so good. It was nice and moist, and not over moist. I could watch it breath, the veining was going away, and it was starting to peep. A half hour later, I looked and everything stopped. It was dead. I took it out of the shell and the egg sac was completely absorbed, and it was ready to hatch, but it died for some reason. I just don't get that. It was so close.

I'm not super proud of this hatch, but at least I got my special little silkie chick that was so important to me. The end total was: Hatched 3 rocks, 2 blue silkies, and 1 very special Princess Silkie!
1 silkie and 2 rocks died in shell. And, 1 more silkie died w days after I accidentally eggtopsied it.

I was going to clean the incubator and set my other eggs into lockdown last night, but when I candled them, the chicks look small. My records show that I set a couple a day or two later than the rest. Luckily I have them marked. I also checked my thermometers. Sure enough, I have 4 of them, and they all say different temps, with a 10 degree range. The worst part is that they also jump up and down. One jumps up, then another jumps down. Three are brand new, and there are 3 different kinds. That just doesn't make sense, but it does explain things a bit.

I also need to find the thread about raising the incubator temp again. My thermometers seem to be running low overall, so I am going to up it a bit until I can get some new thermometers. Any recommendations on type? I have the Acurite ones from Walmart, and then a cheap hygrometer/thermometer from Amazon, that always seems to be way off, and another oldie with a wire cable for inside and outside temps, that seems to be the most accurate when using the inside monitor part.

This next batch is supposed to hatch on Tuesday, and I have more eggs sitting on my cupboard (I am turning them) that are on Day 9 after collection, waiting to be set. I wish I had time to run for thermometers today, but I have to finish my Teacher Effectiveness assignment.

Well still no external pips or signs of hatch from the turkey/duck eggs.... Only a day late but the hatchabatch app has already marked the hatch complete... I have more eggs to lockdown on Tue (though some are silkies and I heard they tend to hatch early should I lock them down early??)

Well still no external pips or signs of hatch from the turkey/duck eggs.... Only a day late but the hatchabatch app has already marked the hatch complete... I have more eggs to lockdown on Tue (though some are silkies and I heard they tend to hatch early should I lock them down early??)
Hatchabatch seems to run a day early. I use it to document when I set eggs, and what I set, but I use the calendar to count off the 21 days.

You calibrated the ones you do have, correct?
Ok, I feel really stupid for asking. How do you calibrate them? Doesn't that just mean checking them against each other? Or, is there actually a process to follow?

My hatch is almost done and I didn't fry the eggs! :D

Coturnix
75 Incubated
51 Set
26 Hatched

White Laced Cornish Bantams
12 Incubated
8 Set
6 Hatched
1 Dead after Hatching

Silkie Bantams
12 Incubated
10 Set
8 Hatched
1 Splay leg

One lone silkie is still hatching, but she's waaaay behind the others. She's hardly absorbed the yolk at all, still lots of veins in the membrane, I doubt she will make it out, certainly not without help, but I will be watching her closely.

I now have 3 speckled Welsummer eggs in lockdown and three meat mutt eggs and 14 button quail eggs will go in on Tuesday. No pips yet, but my silkies and cornish bantams took three-four days after lockdown to have movement, so I'm giving them time. Most of these eggs were in my styrobator (a farm innovator), and it runs a little cool, but the temps swing up and down from 97F to 102F with an average of about 99F, so I'm afraid to turn it up a bit...for a forced air it sure is wonky xD I'm thinking of adding the black aquarium rocks I added to the others as heat sinks when the rest of the eggs in there currently go into lockdown on the 30th. Maybe see if I can stabilize that sucker ;)

Last edited:
Hatchabatch seems to run a day early. I use it to document when I set eggs, and what I set, but I use the calendar to count off the 21 days.

Ok, I feel really stupid for asking. How do you calibrate them? Doesn't that just mean checking them against each other? Or, is there actually a process to follow?

Method 1: Ice Water
Fill a glass with ice cubes, then top off with cold water.
Stir the water and let sit for 3 minutes.
Stir again, then insert your thermometer into the glass, making sure not to touch the sides.
The temperature should read 32°F (0°C). Record the difference and offset your thermometer as appropriate.

This is him or her!!!! My new little silkie that I have been waiting to get for over 2 1/2 years!!!! My Best of Show blue silkie has been holding back on me, and for 2 1/2 years she has not given me a single fertile egg to hatch! (She is getting up there in age.) Well, she finally did!!!! And it hatched! Here is my new little monkey! I was very shocked at its appearance. I bred my beauty to a white roo, that has always produced beautiful blue chicks. So, I'm not sure where the chipmunk look came from, or how it will grow out, but it will be fun to watch. And I know it will have major fluff in all the right places! I happen to have 5 more from her and him in the incubator, due to hatch on Tuesday or Wednesday, so it will be very interesting to see what color they appear as! But, regardless I am happy as a clam! I'm tempted to put my black rooster back in with her, but she was not producing fertile eggs with him, even though he is very fertile, and he also has bleed through in his hackle feathers, and most of his babies so far have too. So, I may just leave as is.

You can hardly tell where his face is in the first picture, it is facing toward the back a bit.

With my blue silkie baby that is 1 week older.

I have 1 internally pipped (I can hear the cheeps, and 1 externally pipped, both blue silkies, from other parents. You might have seen my big blue babies that I posted last week.

Then, I have another small batch hatching on Tuesday. In it, I actually have 5 more of these precious little silkie ones from my very special best of show hen, then 3 more blue silkies, 5 rocks, and FINALLY A FERTILE BLACK AMERAUCANA EGG that I am very excited about!!!!!! (After pitching around 120 infertile eggs, and trading in my rooster, for the most gorgeous Ameraucana rooster ever!) So, I am very, very excited for this upcoming batch!
clap.gif

Quote: Funny

My one lonely egg is on day 20. Hoping to see a pip today. Hoping it is making it through lock down.
fl.gif
fl.gif
I hope as I read and catch up I come across good new.

Quote: NPIP is Federal Law. Some states have their own stricter laws too.

Got home from my graduation and STILL no signs of pipping or anything from the 2 turkey and 6 duck eggs that are due to hatch today...
barnie.gif
I hope I read some good news on this soon.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
That's how Guinea hatch went.

Method 1: Ice Water
Fill a glass with ice cubes, then top off with cold water.
Stir the water and let sit for 3 minutes.
Stir again, then insert your thermometer into the glass, making sure not to touch the sides.
The temperature should read 32°F (0°C). Record the difference and offset your thermometer as appropriate.
Um, Note to self: Wireless digital thermometer transmitters do not seem to like this process. <sigh>

Back
Top Bottom