MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

@generaldsherman

Collection, WASHING & Storage of Eggs
Collection, Washing, Cuticle Removal, Sanding & Storage of Eggs (Click to hide)
Collection, Washing & Storage of Eggs

Choose eggs that are of good size, not abnormally big or small. Do NOT set dirty, cracked, or porous eggs.
Clinical studies at the University of Arkansas have shown that if your going to set a dirty egg, set the dirty egg, DO NOT SAND, WASH OR WIPE dirty eggs as hatchability decreases with these practices!
Cuticula is the thin membrane that covers the whole eggshell that is made from the sticky fluid when laid which covers it and quickly dissolves due to carbondioxyde activity.
This membrane can be penetrated by gasses but functions as a kind defensive mechanism to prevent the entry of bacteria.

The washing and rubbing action also serves to force disease organisms through the pores of the shell. Place the eggs upright in an egg carton with the FAT, air cell end of the egg UP! Allow eggs to sit in a moderately cool, somewhat humid place for storage. Basements are great. Moderately cool means 55-65 degrees. Rotate your eggs a 3 times a day to keep the embryo from sticking. An easy way to turn all of the eggs at once is to place a thick book under one end of the carton, and later remove the book and put it under the other end of the carton, 3 times a day. Before adding eggs to the incubator always WARM eggs UP slowly to room temperature. IF THE EGGS ARE COLD Condensation can cause bacterial growth on the eggs! You can collect eggs up until 10 days or so, but after the 7th day lower hatch rates may result.
Stored eggs take longer to hatch (about one hour per day of storage).

It is important to ALWAYS wash your hands before handling your hatching eggs!

Omphalitis, yolk sack infection is caused by a bacterium that enters through the porous egg shell and easily kills embryo's and newly hatched chicks. Unfortunately, incubation conditions are ideal for breeding bacteria as well as incubating eggs. For more information on storing eggs refer to Recommendations for hatching egg handling and storage

LL

If you MUST store longer please see this info HERE:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ll-detatched-shipped-eggs/26100#post_13329240 ( pasted below from diary thread)
CONCLUSIONS:
When eggs were stored in the small-end-up position for 2 to 4 weeks, it was, not beneficial to turn them daily as had been previously demonstrated to be advantageous for eggs stored small-end-down.

PLASTIC BAG EGG STORAGE!!! http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=618820
Temporary heating before incubation and enclosing eggs in plastic bags during storage improves hatchability, especially when storage is prolonged. A high humidity during storage also improves hatchability, probably due to a reduction in water loss. The changes in albumen pH during storage are discussed in so far as they provide a possible explanation for relationships between environmental conditions during storage and hatching results.

CONCLUSIONS
Storing eggs with the small end up is an alternative method to improve hatchability and to reduce egg weight and hatchling weight losses in eggs derived from young and old breeders stored up to 14 days.

http://pubs.aic.ca/doi/pdf/10.4141/cjas69-005
ABSTRACT~ When eggs were held in storage, the small-end-up pack position without turning, their hatchability was equal to or better than that of eggs packed small-end-down. When eggs were stored in the small-end-up position for 2 to 4 weeks, it was, not beneficial to turn them daily as had been previously demonstrated to be advantageous for eggs stored small-end-down. Thus, the inconvenience and expense of daily turning can be avoided without loss.Evidence is also provided that hatchability was equally good whether eggs were stored on their sides and turned through 180° daily or stored small-end-up without positional change.

TIPS:
Use your turners during storage!

LL

SANITIZING/WASHING EGGS

Most commercial hatcheries sanitize their eggs. There are differences of opinions about how to sanitize eggs, if you feel they need to be. Some experts advocate washing and even lightly scrubbing eggs with soft brushes. Others feel that the most that should be done is dipping for a few seconds. Because of the varying opinions on sanitizing eggs, the following is an opinion of Brower and not necessarily a hard and fast recommendation. Accomplish sanitizing by dipping eggs in solution containing disinfectant that is just strong enough to kill bacteria and viruses. However, the disinfectant should not be so strong as to damage the embryos.

Mix the sanitizing solution according to the manufacturers' instruction. A recommended cleaning solution is Tex-Trol. TexTrol may be available at a local retail outlet. For the name of a retailer search for it online. If using Tex-Trol, mix one half ounce of concentrated disinfectant to one gallon of warm water. You can also use 1 ounce of Clorox to 2 gallons of water. The water should be 100 to 110 degrees Fahrenheit (37° to 44°C). If the egg is warmer than the solution, contamination can be pulled through the pores of the egg before the agent has a chance to neutralize any pathogens.. Submerge the eggs for one to three minutes with dirtier eggs left in solution longer than ones that essentially look clean. Allow the eggs to air dry at room temperature and store as described above--or set in your incubator. A soft paper tissue can be used to dry the eggs but don’t rub the egg with a tissue or any material. Eggs have a natural protective cuticle that helps retard contamination. Rubbing removes the cuticle and can actually drive pathogens through the shell.

Source:
http://browerequip.com/documents/Instruction Sheets/egg to chick guide.pdf
eggtochickguide.pdf 186k .pdf file

(1 Tablespoon = 3 Teaspoons per gal )

Sanitizing solution of chlorine (bleach) 6% hypochlorite and water at a concentration of 100 ppm (parts per million) = To make a100 ppm chlorine solution, combine 2 ml. (1/2 tsp.) of bleach with one quart of water.
images
1zdprty.jpg

DOI: 10.2307/1591327
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1591327
Page Count: 6​

The Cuticle removal
in hatching eggs as a means to reduce weight loss: Has actually been found to increase embryo weight during incubation and has direct relationship between rate of egg water loss, embryonic metabolism, and growth during incubation. But that warning of contamination is there if you dont follow cleaning procedures correctly. Chlorine treated eggs were not altered either. So with all that it is found that cuticle removal can be an effective method for increasing growth and egg weight loss.​

'Sweating' of eggs refers to the phenomenon of condensed water sitting on the egg shell surface. This occurs when cold eggs are suddenly exposed to a higher environmental temperature. The warm air with a certain moisture content cools down rapidly directly around the colder eggs. Since cold air contains less water than warm air, relative humidity will increase until the air is saturated. And at that moment, condensation will take place on the cool egg surface.

Prior to EGG placement in the incubator,
place the eggs at a room temperature for several hours.

Digital Egg Scale - Accurate Humidity Measurement and Egg Sizing HERE
ZONES OF COLD INJURY fro EMBRYONIC DEVELOPMENT post #36213
EGG Quality https://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf
PULLET EGGS??? post #41984 UNDER CONSTRUCTION
DOUBLE YOLKERS NOT suggested but they can hatch with assistance post #46649

Well it happened.... I turned my incubator off, cleaned it up and put it away saying no more babies until the new coop and brooder are built. I just moved a broody I found with 12 eggs into a safer area.
1f602.png
it's storming outside and the poor nest was under a board that floods.

Had 14 but 2 didn't make it . 1 cracked 1 not fertile. They have been there for a little over a week. I candled as I moved (under cover of darkness) as they look to be about 9-12 days along.

Well it happened.... I turned my incubator off, cleaned it up and put it away saying no more babies until the new coop and brooder are built. I just moved a broody I found with 12 eggs into a safer area.
1f602.png

Had 14 but 2 didn't make it . 1 cracked 1 not fertile. They have been there for a little over a week. I candled as I moved (under cover of darkness) as they look to be about 9-12 days along.
good luck broody!!
fl.gif

1f602.png

fl.gif

Here is a picture from this morning of my double broodies. There are 8 babies that I have counted thus far in with them. I put them on the floor this morning because I didn't want the babies to fall off of the table the cat box was on is they hopped out.

Here is a picture from this morning of my double broodies. There are 8 babies that I have counted thus far in with them. I put them on the floor this morning because I didn't want the babies to fall off of the table the cat box was on is they hopped out.
I did like wise. I had to move them out of the big bird pin because that's about to be remodeled. The proud momma and eggs are in the little bird coop. I feel secure that momma can protect babies from those young squirts. Most of the bigger young birds will be moving into the new coop leaving momma and babies with the smaller silkies and bantam pullets.

My husband thinks I did it on purpose.

ROFL!! I wish we could do that!

Congrats on your new fluff balls!

Back
Top Bottom