MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Anyone with experience placing incubator hatched chicks under a desperate broody? tips? advice? suggestions? bad idea?

A few questions to consider
1.) Is she a first time Broody?
2.) Was/is she currently sitting on eggs or does she have any chicks.

Also depending on the feedback you get here might be a good idea to post or do some reading on the broody thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread

The chicks should be only a day or 2 old. Slip them under her at night, while she is sleeping, and watch her the next day. When you are slipping those babies under her, she may strike out at you for bothering her, keep the babies shielded until you get them under her. Remove the eggs/fake eggs at the same time (we use golf balls). Let them bond before attempting to move them again.

A few questions to consider
1.) Is she a first time Broody?
2.) Was/is she currently sitting on eggs or does she have any chicks.

Also depending on the feedback you get here might be a good idea to post or do some reading on the broody thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread
Yes, first time broody. She was sitting on eggs that were due to hatch Sunday and didn't. She is still sitting on them.......
Thanks for the link!

(Okay as I was typing this my dad called so I paused then I noticrd she FINALLY came out, after another hen went in and out, but just hear me out LOL)

Alright, either I have a record young broody or my hens are trying to confuse me. LOL or something's wrong but I hope not.

Got home to let the chickens out around 9:30 or 10 (I know, I know, way too late but I slept over my brother's house last night since my parents are gone this week and no one could get home to let them out earlier) and an Orpington was in the box. Finally went back out around 2:30 or 3 thinking all the eggs would be laid. An Orpington was in the box. Same box. I tried to reach under her or was going to but decided not to after she shifted a tad and gave me a dirty look lol I then realized, after I'd been inside a while, that I hadn't seen anyone go in or out all day either except an Australorp. Well, while I was on the phone and about 20 minutes later an Orpington (a different one) finally went in, standing in the doorway a while, then fully in the coop, then right back out. Shortly after, the suspect came out LOL

SO GLAD SHE IS NOT BROODY.

Now, I know hens can take a while to lay but the most I've seen one in there (not that I really pay much attention) is like at most an hour or half an hour whatever, not 4 hours lol now, maybe she did come out and I wasn't paying attention, that's possible since I wasn't staring at them for 4 hours straight and only now noticed she was still in there but I don'think so.

So glad I don't have to bust her cause we don't have a wire cage lol

Although maybe she was at least THINKING of going broody??????

I hope not. OMG.

They hatched October 26th so they're only like 6 months old haha I feel like that would be a record?

@Chaos18 Update! I came home from work today to find 3 ducklings in my incubator! 2 of them are healthy and perfect. One of them didn't absorb the yoke fully and well, it is kind of a mess. It is active and I hope just healing, resting and absorbing. I have one egg zipping and one other egg pipped. The 2 ducklings are SUPER active and knocking everything and everyone around. So, for now they keep cookin' and I keep waitin'. I haven't noticed anything going on with the other 4. Meet Cafe Latte! I don't know exactly what color she is yet but it isn't black.
:woot Congrats on getting some babies out of the eggs. I'm super happy for you. Sounds like a colorful bunch.
Hi All, Cute chicks!! Lots of babies happening! I have to ask anyone that has shipped eggs.....if someone gives you their address, and asks you to "ask the post "office to hold the package", would you address the package to the person and write "please hold for pickup", or would you ignore their address they gave you, look up a post office in that person's town, go eenie, meenie, minie mo and pick one of the two in town and address the package to that POST OFFICE? That has happened to me twice. Both people have picked the post office on the other side of town. My post office is right next to my house. They know me. They understand that my boxes have eggs and they call me right away. Instead they pick the post office address of the main post office in my town, which is NOT MY POST OFFICE. They don't have a match for my name or my phone #. They get around to calling me late in the day. My post office is nice, they took the routing number and tracked the package down, then called me when they found it. GRRRRRRRR
Address it to the person. Put "Hold For Pickup" on the address label and include a phone number for the post office to call.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...e-brinsea-warning-pic-heavy/270#post_16925451 Seven day candle report. I don't want to type it out again (I'm on a phone).
:yesss:
I guess you didn't read it :/

The chicks should be only a day or 2 old. Slip them under her at night, while she is sleeping, and watch her the next day. When you are slipping those babies under her, she may strike out at you for bothering her, keep the babies shielded until you get them under her. Remove the eggs/fake eggs at the same time (we use golf balls). Let them bond before attempting to move them again.

They are two days old today. I'm just worried about putting them under her and then having to go to work the next day.... She is in a great set up, I wouldn't have to move her or the babies. She's in my grow out chicken tractor. I keep going back and forth because I don't want to potentially sacrifice chicks who are perfectly healthy, but I also want her to have babies.

I guess you didn't read it
hmm.png
I read the post that you provided a link to.

They are two days old today.  I'm just worried about putting them under her and then having to go to work the next day....  She is in a great set up, I wouldn't have to move her or the babies.  She's in my grow out chicken tractor.  I keep going back and forth because I don't want to potentially sacrifice chicks who are perfectly healthy, but I also want her to have babies.  
you could always just give her a few. You won't know until you try! Was she a good broody? What sort of personality does she have?

Back
Top Bottom