MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I was lucky enough to win half a dozen "rainbow" eggs in one of the Easter HAL contests here! I asked for primarily green/blue egg layers and boy did they deliver. they even sent me 7 instead of 6!

they were shipped, so I let them settle for 36 hours when they got here.

today is now day 18 and I have moved them over to the hatcher! 2 were clear/didn't start, but the remaining 5 of 7 look good at lockdown.

they had saddle shaped air cells through incubation, but now 4 of their air cells appears to be reattached and looks nice and round and full. 1 egg ("green magnolia") still has a saddle shaped air cell with 2 obvious detached areas when I candle.

I moved them over to the hatcher upright in a carton, and marked their air cells!
I can't wait!
wee.gif

1 olive egger,
1 easter egger,
1 splash ameraucana,
1 ameri-flower,
1 green magnolia

guesses on how many of these shipped eggs will actually hatch?!

I was lucky enough to win half a dozen "rainbow" eggs in one of the Easter HAL contests here! I asked for primarily green/blue egg layers and boy did they deliver. they even sent me 7 instead of 6! they were shipped, so I let them settle for 36 hours when they got here. today is now day 18 and I have moved them over to the hatcher! 2 were clear/didn't start, but the remaining 5 of 7 look good at lockdown. they had saddle shaped air cells through incubation, but now 4 of their air cells appears to be reattached and looks nice and round and full. 1 egg ("green magnolia") still has a saddle shaped air cell with 2 obvious detached areas when I candle. I moved them over to the hatcher upright in a carton, and marked their air cells! I can't wait! :weee 1 olive egger, 1 easter egger, 1 splash ameraucana, 1 ameri-flower, 1 green magnolia guesses on how many of these shipped eggs will actually hatch?!
Four

Anyone with experience placing incubator hatched chicks under a desperate broody? tips? advice? suggestions? bad idea?
I've done it. Wait until dark and slip them under her as long as they are less than a few days old they should get the idea quickly. Make sure she accepts them. Slip them under and check on her a few time that first night and again right in the morning and make sure she's OK with them. Most hens will take them no problema

Woo hoo!!! Came home and 7 out of 18 eggs are pipped! Only a couple of the silkies, but hopefully they will still pip too! Those Plymouth rocks are tough chicks. They always hatch! :) My humidity was down to 49, so I slipped in a warm wet paper towel.

Hopjng to hatch 7 rocks, 8 blue silkies, and 3 white silkies.

A good friend thought it would be funny to tag me (on facebook) in this meme. But, I can't deny the truth. LOL!! :gig

And a turkey or two. LOL! :gig
I'm not allowed to go to the feed store when it's chick season. I've proven non trustworthy around fowl of any breed.

DH doesn't trust me to go alone to the feed store during chick season either. He says this time of year is dangerous for our budget. LOL! Unfortunately, for him and the budget we recently found a feed store that has chicks year round. We are really in trouble now. LOL! :gig

frow.gif
I have 3 broody hens (one of which is a turkey) sitting on Naked neck x black sexlink and d'Uccle eggs due to hatch in mid May.
I need to find some room for these once they hatch since all of my coops and grow out pens are filled at the moment with the 80 chicks of various ages I currently have. Not sure how I managed to acquire that many chicks with out an incubator, but it happened.
hide.gif

Good luck to all those hatching this month!
jumpy.gif

Good luck with all those broodies!!!!
Woo hoo!!! Came home and 7 out of 18 eggs are pipped! Only a couple of the silkies, but hopefully they will still pip too! Those Plymouth rocks are tough chicks. They always hatch! :) My humidity was down to 49, so I slipped in a warm wet paper towel.

Hopjng to hatch 7 rocks, 8 blue silkies, and 3 white silkies.
Go chickies go!!!
jumpy.gif

Candles tonight. Looks like all 10 are doing well. Hard to see in the dark shells. Lock in for my broody girl tomorrow. Good thing I am busy the next few days. Saturday seems sofar away.

Back
Top Bottom